Locate Library Catalogs to Find Out What Other Libraries Own / Use Interlibrary Loan Services
- Because library users rarely find all of the resource materials they need at any one library, libraries cooperate by borrowing items from one another for their users. This system of borrowing and lending is called Interlibrary Loan or ILL. Inquire at the ILL Department of any public or academic library to inquire whether that library can provide you with ILL service. Exact ILL arrangements and regulations will differ from library to library.
- If your local library does not own an item you need, complete their ILL form with the exact bibliographic information or citation for the material you need. Your library (the borrowing library) then sends your request electronically to a library that does own the requested material. The lending library sends the requested material, if it is available for lending, to you in care of your local library. As this process can take several weeks or more, plan ahead and begin your search early.
- the CSUDH Library will borrow journal articles from other libraries on behalf of
distance learning students.
- Articles that arrive at CSUDH in electronic form will be e-mailed to you.
- Articles that arrive in hard copy will, whenever possible, be scanned and e-mailed to you.
- Articles that are too long to be scanned (over 25 pages) or articles we are unable to scan successfully will be faxed or mailed to you.
- Under exceptional circumstances, we may also request and scan or mail individual book chapters.
Inter-Library Loan at CSUDH