Clarence Augustus "Gus" Martin, JD, Ph.D.
Title: Assistant Vice-President for Faculty Affairs
Department: Academic Affairs Personnel Services
Office: WH, B-368
Phone Extension: x3766
Email Username: gmartin
Panel Discussions, Conferences, and Invited Presentations
- “Black Men's Summit 2004.” Panelist for first annual Black Men's Summit . California State University , Dominguez Hills. Carson , CA . 26 March 2004 .
- “Designing Better Fair Housing Policy: Evaluating Local Studies of Barriers to Fair Housing.” Paper presented at the Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management annual research conference, panel entitled “Place and Race.” With Michael P. Johnson, Ph.D. and Angela M. Williams Foster, Ph.D. Dallas , TX 9 November 2002 .
- “Political Violence Against Women: The New Communal Terrorism.” Presentation at academic conference on “Terrorism & the Global Society.” Participant on panel entitled “Philosophy of Terrorism: Ideas, Concepts, and Forms.” California State University , Dominguez Hills. Carson , CA . 15 March 2002 .
- “Racial Profiling.” Invited guest for live radio broadcast to discuss racial profiling of Arab Americans in the investigations of terrorist suspects after the 11 September 2001 terrorist attacks. With FBI Special Agent Matthew McLaughlin and Hassam Ayloush, Executive Director of the Council of American Islamic Relations-Southern California Chapter. KPCC radio. Pasadena , CA . 26 September 2001 .
- “Perspectives on the Baumhammers Shootings.” Invited guest for live radio broadcast to discuss racially-motivated shootings by a neo-Nazi in the Pittsburgh area. WCXJ radio. Pittsburgh , PA. 5 May 2000.
- “The Policy Utility of Analyses of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice.” Presentation at the Conference of Minority Public Administrators (COMPA) Annual Conference, session entitled “Bridging the gap Between Private Housing, Finance, and Community Needs.” Las Vegas , NV . 23 January 2000 .
- “College Education Requirements and Police Recruitment.” Invited panel participant for television broadcast of the Fox-53 program “Inside Pittsburgh.” Pittsburgh , PA. 20 June 1999 .
- “Associations Between Home Ownership, Community Development, and Low Incidence of Socio-Economic Problems in Very Poor Neighborhoods: Preliminary Research and Findings.” Paper presented at the Conference of Minority Public Administrators (COMPA) Annual Conference, session entitled “Linkages Between Housing and Community Development.” Pittsburgh , PA. 13 March 1999 .
- “Socio-Economic Heterogeneity in Very Poor Neighborhoods.” Presentation at the Florida Black Faculty & Staff Association Conference (unable to attend). Miami , FL. 12 January 1999 .
- “Fair Housing Law for Realtors.” Continuing education presentation before the Washington/Greene County Association of Realtors. Washington , PA. 22 April 1998 .
- “Landlord Obligations Under Fair Housing Law.” Sensitivity training workshop for landlords at the Fair Housing Partnership of Greater Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh , PA. 9 December 1997 .
- “Public Assisted Housing Desegregation and the Role of the Banking Community.” Invited panel participant for presentation to PNC Bank branch managers. Monroeville , PA. 11 June 1997 .
- “Fair Housing Rights and Obligations.” Presentation before the North Hills Anti-Racism Coalition and North Hills YWCA. Pittsburgh , PA. 22 May 1997.
- “Going Undercover to Test Housing.” Invited panel participant at the West Virginia Civil Rights Summit. Charleston , WV . 2 May 1997.
- “An Overview of Fair Housing Laws.” Invited panel participant at Public and Fair Housing Conference sponsored by Penn State University-McKeesport. McKeesport , PA. 8 April 1997 .
- “Fair Housing Laws and Gender Rights.” Presentation before the Program for Female Offenders. Pittsburgh , PA. 11 December 1996 .
- “Fair Housing and Landlord Obligations.” Presentation before the Beaver County Council of Governments. Beaver County , PA. 12 November 1996 .
- “Fair Housing Workshop.” Invited panel participant at workshop sponsored by the Mercer County Regional Planning Commission. Mercer County , PA. 17 October 1996 .
- “Meeting the Needs of Print-Handicapped Consumers.” Presentation before Radio Information Service workshop for providers of services to print-handicapped consumers. Pleasant Hills, PA. 16 October 1996 .
- “Fair Housing for Mental Health Consumers.” Presentations to staff and clients of People's Oakland . Pittsburgh , PA. 2 April 1996 (clients) and 1 March 1996 (staff).
- “Fair Housing Laws and AIDS Consumers.” Presentation before the Pittsburgh AIDS Task Force. Wilkinsburg , PA. 15 March 1996 .
- “Fair Housing Rights and Obligations.” Training session for site managers of the Allegheny County Housing Authority. Homestead , PA. 14 December 1995 .
- “Fair Housing Rights and Obligations.” Presentation to rental property owners at Apartment Expo sponsored by the Apartment Renters Guide. Monroeville , PA. 9 November 1995 .
- “Racial Economic Disparities in Pittsburgh .” Presentation before the Pittsburgh Commission on Human Relations. Pittsburgh , PA. 3 November 1995 .
- “Fair Housing Rights and Obligations.” Presentation before Fair Housing Conference sponsored by the Beaver County Councils of Government. 12 October 1995 .