Herman J. Loether, Ph.D.
Title: Professor Emeritus, Sociology
Email Username: loether
- Social Impacts of Infectious Diseases in England, 1600-1900 (New York: Edwin Mellen Press, 2000).
- Donald G. McTavish and Herman J. Loether, SOCIAL RESEARCH:Achieved Design (New York: Addison Wesley Longman, 1999). 2nd edition published as Social Research: An Evolving Process (Boston: Allyn and Bacon, Longmans, Inc., 2002).
- Herman J. Loether and Donald G. McTavish, Descriptive and Inferential Statistics: An Introduction (Boston: Allyn and Bacon, Inc. Combined edition, 1976; 2nd edition 1980; 3rd edition, 1988; 4th edition, 1993).
- Herman J. Loether, Problems of Aging: Sociological and Social Psychology Perspectives (Belmont, California: Dickenson Publishing Co., Inc. 1967; 2nd edition 1975).
Publications: Chapters in Books
- "Organizational Context and the Professorial Role," in Phyllis L. Stewart and Muriel G. Cantor, editors, VARIETIES OF WORK (Beverly Hills, California: Sage Publicationw, 1982), pp. 137-52.
- "Organizational Stress and the Role Orientations of College Professors," in Phyllis L. Stewart and Muriel G. Cantor, editors, VARIETIES OF WORK EXPERIENCE (New York: Halsted Press, 1974), pp. 159-72.
- "A Social Psychological Study of Role Shift in a Halfway House," in E.R. Sinnett and A.D. Sachson, editors, TRANSITIONAL FACILITIES IN THE REHABILITATION OF THE EMOTIONALLY DISTURBED (Manhattan, Kansas: University Press of Kansas, 1970), pp. 223-232.
- "The Meaning of Work and Adjustment to Retirement," in Arthur B. Shostak and William Gomberg, editors, Blue Collar World: Studies of the American Worker (Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, Inc. 1964), pp. 517-25.
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Professor Awards: California State University, Los Angeles, 1965;
California State University, Dominguez Hills, 1973, 1984.
- Citation for Outstanding Leadership as President of the United Chapters of Alpha Kappa Delta (International Sociology Honor Society), 1974-76.
- Citation in Recognition and Appreciation of Outstanding Contributions as the first faculty member of the California State University Dominguez Hills Foundation, 1976-82.
- Meritorious Performance and Professional Promise Award, California State University Dominguez Hills, 1986-87.
- Citations in CONTEMPORARY AUTHORS, 1977; AMERICAN MEN AND WOMEN OF SCIENCE, 1973-78; THE WRITERS DIRECTORY, 1976-80; INTERNATIONAL AUTHORS AND WRITERS WHO'S WHO, 1977; WHO'S WHO IN AMERICA, 2001-2007.