Thomas Landefeld, Ph.D.
Title: Professor, Biology
Office: NSM B-104
Phone Extension: x3528
Email Username: tlandefeld
Chapters in Books
- Boime I, Landefeld TD, Szczesna E, McWilliams D, and Boguslawski S: The Synthesis of Human Placental Lactogen and Chorionic Gonadotropin mRNA During Pregnancy. In: Peters H (ed): Protides of the Biological Fluids, Vol. XXIV (New York, NY: Pergamon Press, 1976), 17 24.
- Boime I, Landefeld T, McQueen S, and McWilliams DR: The Biosynthesis of Chorionic Gonadotropin and Placental Lactogen in First and Third Trimester Human Placenta. In: McKerns K (ed): Structure and Function of the Gonadotropins (New York, NY: Plenum Press, 1978), 235 257.
- Campbell KL, Bagavandoss P, Jonassen J, Landefeld TD, Rao MC, Richards, JS, and Midgley AR, Jr.: Gonadotropin Induction of Granulosa Cell Luteinization. In: Hamilton TH, Clark JL, and Sadler WA (eds): Ontogeny of Receptors and Mode of Action of Reproductive Hormones (New York, NY: Raven Press, 1979), 148 163.
- Foster DL, Ebling FJP, Vannerson LA, Suttie JM, Landefeld TD, Padmanabhan V, Micka AM, Bucholtz DC, Wood RI, and Fenner DE: Toward an Understanding of Interfaces between Nutrition and Reproduction: the Growth-Restricted Lamb as a Model. In: Pirke K, Wuttke W, and Schweiger U. (eds): The Menstrual Cycle and Its Disorders: Influences of Nutrition, Exercise and Neurotransmitters (Heidelberg, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 1990).
- Landefeld TD: Regulation of Pituitary Hormone Gene Expression in the Ewe. In: Chin WW, and Boime I (eds): Glycoprotein Hormones: Structure, Synthesis, and Biologic Function, Serono Symposium Series (New York, NY: Plenum Publishing Corp, 1990).
- Haisenleder DJ, Dalkin AC, Ortolano GA, Iliff-Sizemore SA, Paul SJ, Landefeld TD, and Marshall JC: GnRH and Differential Regulation of Gonadotropin Subunit Gene Expression. In: Chin WW, and Boime I (eds): Glycoprotein Hormones: Structure, Synthesis, and Biologic Function, Serono Symposium Series (New York, NY: Plenum Publishing Corp, 1990).
- Landefeld TD, Grimek HJ, and McShan WH: End Group and Carbohydrate Analysis of Equine LH. Biochem Biophys Res Comm 46:463 470, 1972.
- Landefeld TD, and McShan WH: Equine Luteinizing Hormone and Its Subunits. Isolation and Physicochemical Properties. Biochemistry 13:1389 1939, 1974.
- Landefeld TD, and McShan WH: Isolation and Characterization of Subunits from Equine Pituitary Follicle-Stimulating Hormone. J Biol Chem 249:3527 3531, 1974.
- Landefeld TD, Boguslawski S, Corash L, and Boime I: The Cell-Free Synthesis of the Alpha Subunit of Human Chorionic Gonadotropin. Endocrinology 98:1220 1227, 1976.
- Landefeld TD, McWilliams DR, and Boime I: The Isolation of mRNA Encoding the Alpha Subunit of Human Chorionic Gonadotropin. Biochem Biophys Res Comm 72:381 390, 1976.
- Rathnam P, Fujiki Y, Landefeld TD, and Saxena BB: Isolation and Amino Acid Sequence of the ß-Subunit of Follicle Stimulating Hormone from Equine Pituitary Glands. J Biol Chem 253:5355 5362, 1978.
- Daniels-McQueen S, McWilliams D, Birken S, Canfield R, Landefeld T, and Boime I: Identification of mRNAs Encoding the Alpha and Beta Subunits of Human Choriogonadotropin. J Biol Chem 253:7109 7114, 1978.
- Landefeld TD, Campbell KL, and Midgley AR, Jr.: Rapid Changes in the Synthesis of Specific Ovarian Granulosa Cell Proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 76:5153 5157, 1979.
- Landefeld TD: Identification of In Vitro Synthesized Pituitary Glycoprotein Alpha Subunit: Translation of a Possible Precursor. J Biol Chem 254:3685 3688, 1979.
- Landefeld TD and Kepa J: The Cell Free Synthesis of Bovine Lutropin ß-Subunit. Biochem Biophys Res Comm 90:1111 1118, 1979.
- Savoy-Moore RT, Landefeld TD, and Marshall JC: Hormonal Measurement in Rat Anterior Pituitary Cell Cultures: Loss of Immunoreactive LH Counteracted by Fetal Calf Serum and Bacitracin. Molec Cell Endocrinol 18:11 20, 1980.
- Campbell KL, Landefeld TD, and Midgley AR, Jr.: Differential Processing of Subunits of Human Gonadotropin by Granulosa Cells In Vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 77:4793 4797, 1980.
- Campbell KL, Bagavandoss P, Byrne MD, Jonassen JA, Landefeld TD, Quasney MW, Sanders MM, and Midgley AR, Jr.: Differential Processing of the Two Subunits of Human Choriogonadotropin (HCG) by Granulosa Cells. II. In Vivo Studies. Endocrinology 109:1858 1871, 1981.
- Landefeld TD, Byrne MD, Campbell KL, and Midgley AR, Jr.: Differential Processing of the Two Subunits of Human Choriogonadotropin (HCG) by Granulosa Cells. I. Preparation and Characterization of Selectively Labeled Human Choriogonadotropin. Endocrinology 109:1851 1857, 1981.
- Landefeld TD, Kepa J, and Karsch FJ: Regulation of Alpha Subunit RNA by Gonadal Steroid Feedback in Sheep Anterior Pituitary. J Biol Chem 258:2390 2393, 1983.
- Landefeld TD, Kepa J, and Karsch FJ: Estradiol Feedback Effects on Alpha Subunit mRNA in the Sheep Pituitary Gland: Correlation with Serum and Pituitary LH Concentrations. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 81:1322 1326, 1984.
- Landefeld TD, and Kepa J: Regulation of LHß-Subunit mRNA in the Sheep Pituitary Gland during Different Feedback States of Estradiol. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 122:1307 1313, 1984.
- Landefeld TD, and Kepa J: Pituitary Alpha Subunit mRNA Amounts During the Sheep Estrous Cycle. Assessment by cDNA Hybridizations. J Biol Chem 259:12817 12820, 1984.
- Lloyd RV, Landefeld TD, Maslar I, and Frohman LA: Diethylstilboestrol Inhibits Tumor Growth and Prolactin Production in Rat Pituitary Tumor. Am J Pathol 118:379 386, 1985.
- Landefeld TD, Maurer R, and Kepa J: Luteinizing Hormone Beta Subunit mRNA Amounts Increase During the Preovulatory Surge in the Ewe: The Highest Levels are Observed at the Completion of the Peak. DNA 4:249 254, 1985.
- Landefeld TD, Kaynard A, and Kepa J: Pituitary Alpha Subunit mRNA Remains Elevated During the Latter Stages of the Preovulatory LH Surge. Endocrinology 117:934 938, 1985.
- Papavasiliou SS, Zmeili S, Khoury S, Landefeld TD, Chin WW, and Marshall JC: Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone Differentially Regulates Expression of the Alpha and Luteinizing Hormone Beta Subunit Genes in Male Rats. Proc Nat'l Acad Sci USA 83:4026 4029, 1986.
- Papavasiliou SS, Zmeili S, Herbon L, Marshall JC, and Landefeld TD: Alpha and LH Beta mRNA Quantitation in the Anterior Pituitary of Castrate Male Rats Using an Optimized RNA Dot Blot Hybridization Assay. Endocrinology 119:691 698, 1986.
- Lloyd RV, and Landefeld TD: The Identification of PRL mRNA in the Rat Pituitary Using In Situ Hybridization. Am J Path 125:35 44, 1986.
- Zmeili SM, Papavasiliou SS, Thorner MO, Evans WS, Marshall JC, and Landefeld TD: Alpha and Luteinizing Hormone Beta Subunit mRNAs During the Rat Estrous Cycle. Endocrinology 119:1867 1869, 1986.
- Leung K, Kim KE, Maurer RA, Negrini B, Kaynard A, and Landefeld TD: Differential Regulation of Gonadotropin Subunit mRNAs by GnRH Pulse Frequency in Ewes. Molec Endocrinol 1:724 728, 1987.
- Leung K, Kim KE, Maurer RA, and Landefeld TD: Divergent Changes in the Concentrations of Gonadotropin ß-Subunit mRNAs During the Estrous Cycle of Sheep. Molec Endocrinol 2:272 276, 1988.
- Lloyd RV, Cano M, and Landefeld TD: The Effects of Estrogens on Tumor Growth and on Prolactin and Growth Hormone Messenger RNA Expression in Rat Pituitary Tissues. Am. J. Path. 133:397 406, 1988.
- Ortolano GA, Haisenleder DJ, Dalkin AC, Iliff-Seymore SA, Landefeld TD, Maurer RA, and Marshall JC: Follicle-Stimulating Hormone Beta Subunit Messenger Ribonucleic Acid Concentrations During the Rat Estrous Cycle. Endocrinology 123:2149 2151, 1988.
- Landefeld TD, Bagnell T, and Levitan I: Effects of Estradiol on Gonadotropin Subunit Messenger Ribonucleic Acid Amounts during an Induced Gonadotropin Surge in Anestrous Ewes. Mol Endocrinol 3:10 14, 1989.
- Haisenleder DJ, Ortolano GA, Landefeld TD, Zmeili SM, and Marshall JC: Prolactin mRNA Concentrations in 4-Day Cycling Rats and During the Prolactin Surge. Endocrinology 124:2023 2028, 1989.
- Landefeld TD, Ebling FJP, Suttie JM, Vannerson LA, Padmanabhan V, Beitins IZ, and Foster DL: Metabolic Interfaces between Growth and Reproduction: II. Characterization of Changes in Messenger Ribonucleic Acid Concentrations of Gonadotropin Subunits, Growth Hormone and Prolactin in Nutritionally Growth-Limited Lambs and the Differential Effects of Increased Nutrition. Endocrinology 125:351 356, 1989.
- Landefeld TD, and Suttie JM: Changes in Messenger Ribonucleic Acid Concentrations and Plasma Levels of Growth Hormone During the Ovine Estrous Cycle. Endocrinology 125:1474 1478, 1989.
- Song J, Long J, Chandler WF, England BG, Smart JB, Landefeld TD, and Lloyd RV: Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone Regulates Gonadotropin Subunit and Chromogranin B mRNAs in Cultured Clinically Nonfunctioning Pituitary Adenomas. J Clin Endo Metab 71:622 630, 1990.
- Haisenleder DJ, Ortolano GA, Jolly D, Dalkin AC, Landefeld TD, Vale WW, and Marshall JC: Inhibin Secretion During the Rat Estrous Cycle: Relationships to FSH Secretion and FSH Beta Subunit mRNA Concentrations. Life Sciences 47:1769 1773, 1990.
- Landefeld TD, Roulia V, Bagnell T, Ballard T, and Levitan I: Changes in Prolactin Messenger Ribonucleic Acid Concentrations During the Ovine Estrous Cycle. Life Sciences 48:1179 1184, 1991.
- Kulig E, Landefeld TD, and Lloyd RV: The Effects of Estrogen on Prolactin Gene Methylation in Normal and Neoplastic Rat Pituitary Tissues. Am J Pathology 140:207-214, 1992.
- Padmanabhan V, Reno KM, Borondy M, Landefeld TD, Ebling FJP, Foster DL, and Beitins IZ: Effect of Nutritional Repletion on Pituitary and Serum Follicle-Stimulating Hormone Isoform Distribution in Growth-Retarded Lambs. Biol Reprod 46:964-971, 1992.
- Padmanabhan V, Mieher CD, Bonondy M, I'Anson H, Wood RI, Landefeld TD, Foster DL, and Beitins IZ: Circulating Bioactive FSH and Less Acidic FSH Isoforms During Experimental Induction of Puberty in the Female Lamb. Endocrinology. 131:213-220, 1992.
- Lloyd RV, Long J, Kulig E, Thiny MT, Fields K, Landefeld TD, and Camper SA: Pit-1/GHF-1 Transcription Factor Expression in Rodent Pituitaries. Endocrine Path 4:146-154, 1993.
- Padmanabhan V, Kletter GB, Levitan ID, Beitins IZ, Foster DL, and Landefeld TD: Differential Regulation of Gonadotropin Alpha and Beta Subunit mRNA concentrations and gonadotropin release during GnRH-Induced Puberty in the Female Lamb. Endocrine J 1:345-354, 1993.
- Padmanabhan V, Dalkin A, Yasin M, Haisenleder DJ, Marshall JC, and Landefeld TD: Are Immediate Early Genes Involved in GnRH Receptor Gene Regulation? Characterization of Changes in Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone Receptor (GnRH-R), c-Fos and c-Jun mRNAs During the Ovine Estrous Cycle. Biol Reprod 53:263-269, 1995.
Non Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Midgley AR, Jr., Campbell KL, and Landefeld TD: Development of Ovarian Responsiveness: Follicle Maturation and Luteinization. Adv. Biosci. 25:361 368, 1979.
- Marshall JC, Haisenleder DJ, Ortolano GA, Dalkin AC, Paul SJ, and Landefeld TD: Regulation of Gonadotropin Subunit Gene Expression. In: Neuroendocrine Modulation of Central Nervous System Function: Proceedings of Fifth Galveston Neurosciences Symposium, May 1988, AL Liss, Inc., New York, NY.
- Landefeld TD, Ballard T, and Levitan I (1991) Gonadotropin Subunit Messenger Ribonucleic Acid Amounts in the Pituitary During Estradiol-Induced LH Surges in Anestrous and Breeding Season Ewes. Expt Clin Endocrinol (Life Sci Advances) 10:35-38, 1991.
- Landefeld, TD (2005) Community College Students: An Untapped Source of Future Scientists” MiSciNet (http://www.miscinet.org)
- Department of Biochemistry, University of Montreal, Montreal, Canada (November, 1980).
- Department of Biochemistry, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas (August, 1981).
- Surgeon's Third Symposium on Gut Hormones "Gene Regulation of Hormone Synthesis" Colorado Springs, Colorado (June, 1983).
- Department of Biochemistry, Albany Medical College (September, 1984).
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Symposium "Glycoprotein Hormones: Structure and Synthesis" Miami, Florida (February, 1986)
- Worcester Foundation for Experimental Biology, Worcester, MA (April 1986)
- Integrated Genetics, Inc., Framingham, MA (April 1986)
- Genentech Inc., San Francisco, CA (September 1986)
- Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH (September 1986)
- Ohio State University-Agricultural Research and Development Center, Wooster, OH (March 1987)
- Northwestern University, Evanston, IL (June 1987)
- University of Miami, Miami, FL (February 1988)
- Serono Symposium on Glycoprotein Hormones: Structure, Synthesis and Biologic Function, Newport Beach, CA (March, 1989)
- Basic Science Seminar Series, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA (November 1989)
- Reproductive Endocrinology Labs/Department of Biochemistry, The University of Miami Medical School (February, 1992)
- MARC/MBRS Programs, Barry University (April, 1996)
- Graduate School, University of Maryland, Eastern Shore (April, 1996)
- FASEB Visiting Scientist, Prairie View A & M, Prairie View, TX (Spring 2001)
- Models of Institutional Excellence Symposium, Universidad Metropolitana, Puerto Rico
- Keynote Speaker “Where are the Minority Scientists and Why should we care?” (October, 2002)
- FASEB Visiting Scientist, Virginia State University (September, 2003)
- Plenary Speaker and FASEB Visiting Scientist, Symposium on Ethics and Integrity in Research, Ana Mendez University System (November, 2003)
- Keynote Speaker, Prairie View A & M University, Summer Research Program, August 2004
- Keynote Speaker, University of the Virgin Islands, Celebrating 43 years of Excellence, March 2005
- Keynote Speaker, Mount St. Mary's College, Los Angeles, April 2006
- Keynote Speaker, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio (Harlingen Satellite campus) March 2006
- NIH-GM58386; Principal Investigator “Bridges to the Baccalaureate Program at CSUDH” 1998-2006.
- NIH-GM08683; Principal Investigator “Undergraduate Student Training in Academic Research (U*STAR) 1998-2006.
- The Endocrine Society; Principal Investigator “Endocrinology Short courses at Undergraduate Institutions” 1996-1999 ($206,850).
- California State University, Principal Investigator “Senior Focus: Alliance for Minority Participation (AMP)” 1997-1999 ($32,780).
- NIH-HD-12016 (R01); Principal Investigator "Gonadotropin Biosynthesis" 1978-1991 40% effort.
- NIH-HD-07048; Program Coordinator "Training in Reproductive Endocrinology" 1980-1996 15% effort.
- Office of Vice President for Research—University of Michigan "Regulation of Reproductive Hormone mRNAs in Sheep" 9/1/93-12/31/95 10% effort.
- USDA 90-37240-5758; Principal Investigator "Regulation of Reproductive Hormone mRNAs in Sheep" 1990-1993 40% effort.
- NIH-HD-18258; Molecular Biology Core Director "Center for the Study of Reproduction" 1989-1994 5% effort.
- NIH-CA-37238; Co-investigator "Regulation of Rat Pituitary Hyperplasia and Neoplasia" 1987-1994 5% effort.
- NIH-HD-11489; Co-Investigator "Role of GnRH in Gonadotropin and Steroid Function" 1984-1991 15% effort.
- NIH-CA-42951; Co-investigator "Studies of Normal and Neoplastic Human Pituitary Tissue" 1986-1990 10% effort.
- NIH-AM-20572; Principal Investigator, (Pilot Feasibility Study) University of Michigan Diabetes Research Training Center "Analysis of the Insulin Gene from Patients Exhibiting Mutant Insulins" 1984-1986.
Awards and Honors
- Undergraduate Institution Mentor Award; Presented by SACNAS, 2002
- National Role Model Mentoring Award; Presented by Minority Access, Inc. 2001
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community and University Service Award, CSUDH, 1999.
- Facilitator, Session on Faculty Roles, American Association of Higher Education, 1996.
- Chair, Panel Discussion on "Minorities in Graduate Education", GRE Forum, 1991.
- Leader, Biological Sciences Discussion Session, GRE Forum, San Francisco, 1992.
- Academic Leadership Award: Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC), The University of Michigan Representative (1990).