James S. Jeffers, Ph.D.
Title: Associate Professor and Chair, History
Office: LCH A-319
Phone Extension: x1084
Email Username: jjeffers
- "From House Church to State Church: The Development of Hierarchy in Pre-Constantinian Christianity," Aufstieg und Niedergang der Römischen Welt, forthcoming.
- "Justin Martyr and the City of Rome," Aufstieg und Niedergang der Römischen Welt, forthcoming.
- “Decoded Papyri Offer Challenges and Rewards,” Sacred History Magazine (November 2005).
- Il Mondo Greco-Romano all’epoca del Nuovo Testamento, trans. Paulo Bragagni, Maria Balocco and Gracia Geminiani (Milan: Edizioni San Paulo, 2004). Translation of The Greco-Roman World.
- "Envisioning a Christian Liberal Arts Education," Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies 14: 1/2 (2002): 141-164.
- "Slaves of God: The Impact of the Cult of the Roman Emperor on Paul's Use of the Language of Power Relations," Fides et Historia 34:1 (2002): 123-139.
- "The Context of the New Testament," a review essay in Catalyst (27.3, March 2001).
- The Greco-Roman World of the New Testament Era, InterVarsity Press, 1999. Now in its third printing. Translation into Italian
(Click on image to expand)
- "Jewish and Christian Families in First Century Rome," in Judaism and Christianity in First-Century Rome, (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans Publishers, 1998).
- Conflict at Rome: Social Order and Hierarchy in Early Christianity (Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1991).
(Click on image to expand)
- Conflito em Roma: Ordem social e hierarquia no cristianismo primitivo, trans. A. V. Sobral, M. S. Gonçalves, and L. Pellegin (Sao Paulo, Brazil: Edições Loyola,1995). Translation of Conflict at Rome.
- "The Influence of Roman Family and Social Structures on Early Roman Christianity," SBL Seminar Papers 1988 (Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1988).
- "Pluralism and Early Roman Christianity," Fides et Historia 22:1 (1990).
- Various book reviews.
- “Separating the Inseparable: How Christian Apologists Sought to Separate the Political and Religious Aspects of Emperor Worship,” presented to the XV International Conference on Patristic Studies, Oxford, U.K., 2007.
- “Greeks, Romans and Religion in the Holy Land,” a public lecture by invitation at Wheaton College, IL, 2006.
- “Caesar v. Christ: the Clash of Cultures and Religions in the Roman Empire and Lessons for Today,” a public lecture by invitation at Fitchburg State College, MA, 2006.
- Session Moderator, ETS Patristics Study Group, 2003.
- "The Church's Self Identity and Attitude Toward Society in Justin Martyr," ETS Patristics, 2002.
- "Slave Language in the Apostle Paul and the Cult of Emperor Worship," Conference on Faith and History, 2000.
- "Converting Upper-Division Humanities Courses to the Web," web97, Northern Arizona University, 1997.
- "Developing a Faculty Web Page," Teaching, Learning, and Technology Forum at California State University, Dominguez Hills, 1998.
- "Teaching Courses Via the Internet," Teaching, Learning, and Technology Forum at California State University, Dominguez Hills, 1997.
- Respondent at the 1993 Society for New Testament Studies. Topic: Jews and Christians in Rome.
- "Change and Continuity in Lower Class Greek Families of the Hellenistic Era," Pacific Coast Branch of the American Historical Association, 1991
- "Making Connections: Teaching the Humanities to Diverse Students Across the Curriculum," Lilly Conference on College Teaching--West, 1991.
- "The Impact of Roman Enslavement on Hellenistic Family Relations," International Conference on Gender and the Family, 1991.