Donald T. Hata, Ph.D.
Title: Emeritus Professor, History
Email Username: dhata
Show All Selected Publications Selected Keynote Speeches Selected Conference Presentations and Lectures Selected Photo Exhibits Grants Academic Awards and Honors Civic Engagement Government & Politics
- Donald Teruo Hata and Nadine Ishitani Hata. Japanese Americans and World War II: Mass Removal, Imprisonment, and Redress, Fourth Edition. John Wiley and Sons, 2011.
- Hata, Nadine and Donald Hata, "Into the Mainstream: Asians & Pacific Islanders in Post-1945 Los Angeles," in CITY OF PROMISE: Race and Historical Change in Los Angeles. Martin Schiesl and Mark Dodge (eds.). Claremont, CA: Regina Books, 2006.
- Hata, Donald and Nadine Hata, "Indispensable Scapegoats: Asians & Pacific Islanders in Pre-1945 Los Angeles," in CITY OF PROMISE: Race and Historical Change in Los Angeles. Martin Schiesl and Mark Dodge (eds.). Claremont, CA: Regina Books, 2006.
- Hata, Donald Teruo and Nadine Ishitani Hata. "Justice Delayed But Not Denied" [on the Japanese American Redress Movement] chapter in Alien Justice: Wartime Internment in Australia and North America . Kay Saunders and Roger Daniels (eds.) Australia: University of Queensland Press, 2000.
- Hata, Don and Nadine Hata. The "Scavenger Hunt" research paper assignment in "Thinking Historically: Challenges and Solutions," in Perspectives on Teaching Innovations: Teaching to Think Historically . A collection of essays from Perspectives, newsletter of the American Historical Association. 1999.
- Hata, Donald T., Jr. and Nadine Ishitani Hata. "Asian-Pacific Angelinos: Model Minorities and Indispensable Scapegoats," chapter in 20th Century Los Angeles: Power, Promotion, and Social Conflict. Norman Klein and Martin Schiesl (eds.). Claremont, CA: Regina Books, 1990.
- Hata, Donald T., Jr. and Nadine Ishitani Hata. "California Asians," chapter in A Guide to the History of California, Doyce B. Nunis and Gloria Lothrop (eds). Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1989.
- Hata, Don and Nadine. "George Shima: The Potato King of California," Journal of the West issue on "Business Entrepreneurs in the West." 1986
- Hata, Donald T. Undesirables: Early Immigrants and the Anti-Japanese Movement in San Francisco, 1892 - 1893, Prelude to Exclusion. New York: Arno Press, 1978.
- Hata, Donald Teruo, Jr., and Nadine Ishitani Hata. "Run Out and Ripped Off: A Legacy of Discrimination." Special Asian/Pacific American ed. of Civil Rights Digest, Fall 1976.
- Hata, Don and Nadine. "I Wonder Where the Yellow Went? Distortions and Omissions of Asian Americans in California Education." Integrated Education. May-June, 1974..
- Hata, Donald Teruo and Nadine Ishitani Hata. Japanese Americans & World War II. Forum Press, 1974.
- Don Hata, Jr. "Asian Americans and Education for Cultural Pluralism," chapter in Cultural Pluralism in Education: A Mandate for Change, M. Stent, W. Hazard and H.Rivlin (eds). N.Y.: Appleton-Century Crofts, 1973.
- Book reviews in: The American Historical Review, California History , The Californians , The International Migration Review The Journal of American History, The Journal of Ethnic History , Southern California Quarterly , and Western Historical Quarterly .