Cynthia Freeman Grutzik, Ph.D.
Title: Chair and Associate Professor, Liberal Studies Department
Department: Liberal Studies
Office: SCC 540B
Phone Extension: x3357
Email Username: cgrutzik
- Teachers’ Perspectives on Charter School Reform: Lessons from California. With Ash Vasudeva. Teaching and Change, Spring 2000.
- Beyond the Rhetoric of Charter School Reform: A Study of Ten California School Districts. With A. S. Wells and Research Associates. UCLA, 1999.
- Underlying Policy Assumptions of Charter School Reform: The Multiple Meanings of a Movement. With A. S. Wells, S. C. Catalan, A. Vasudeva, and J. Slayton. Teachers College Record, January 1998. Also presented as a paper at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New York, April 1996.
Presentations and Papers
- Good Teachers Make Good Trainers: Borrowing Best Practices from the Classroom. Presentation at the “Training the Early Childhood Trainer” Education Conference, CAEYC, Torrance, CA, October 25, 2007
- Response to Standards 7, 13, and 1,9 adding English Learner Authorization to the Mild/Moderate Education Specialist Credential, Pacific Oaks College Teacher Education Program, Approved June 2007.
- WASC Institutional Self Study Document, Co-written with Dr. Corrine McGuigan, Pacific Oaks College, Fall 2004 (Successful WASC Review Team Special Visit Spring 2005)
- Good Talk About Good Teaching. Paper presented to the Annual Meeting of the Human Development Conference, Wheelock College, Boston, October 2004.
- Response to SB2042 Standards for Quality and Effectiveness of Teacher Preparation Programs, Preconditions, Common Standards, and Program Standards, Pacific Oaks College Teacher Education Program, Approved Fall 2003 for Multiple Subject and Multiple Subject Intern Programs.
- Response to Ryan Standards for Quality and Effectiveness of Teacher Preparation Programs, Preconditions, Common Standards, and Program Standards, Pacific Oaks College Teacher Education Program, Fall 2000 (Team Visit and Accreditation without Stipulations, Spring 2001)
- Teacher Education Program Self-Study, Pacific Oaks College, Pasadena CA, Fall 1999
- Teachers’ Work in Charter Schools: From Policy to Practice. Doctoral dissertation, June 1997. University of California, Los Angeles.
- Heaven for Teachers? Exploring Teachers’ Perceptions of the Locus of Control in Two Charter Schools. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, March 1997.
- Resources and Access in California Charter Schools: A Preliminary Overview. With D. Bernal, D. Hirshberg, and A. S. Wells. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, San Francisco, April 1995.