Linda Groff, Ph.D.
Title: Professor, Political Science and Future Studies; Coordinator, Behavioral Science Undergraduate Program
Department: Behavioral Science Undergraduate Program
Phone Extension: x3470
Email Username: ljgroff
Selected Publications on Peace
- Smoker, Paul, and Groff, Linda. "Creating Global-Local Cultures of Peace," Shorter version in From a Culture of Violence to a Culture of Peace, UNESCO Studies in Peace and Conflict. Paris : UNESCO, 1996.
- Smoker, Paul, and Groff, Linda. "Creating Global-Local Cultures of Peace," Longer version published in Peace and Conflict Studies Journal (1996).
- Smoker, Paul, and Groff, Linda. “Creating Global-Local Cultures of Peace,” Longer version published in book, The Coming of the Postmodern Future, Ed. by Lech W. Zacher. Lublin , Poland: University of Maria Curie-Sklodowska, 1996. Article also translated into Russian.
- Smoker, Paul, and Groff, Linda. "Peace--An Evolving Idea: Implications for Future Generations," in Future Generations Journal ( Malta ), No. 23, Issue 2 (1997).
- Groff, Linda, based on work with the late Paul Smoker. “Proposal for a Global Monitoring System--of Negative and Positive Indicators--for Seven Types of Peace.” UNESCO Invited Conference Paper, Third UNESCO Seminar on “Contributions By Religions to a Culture of Peace,” Granada, Spain (May 1998). Also Book of Conference Proceedings, La Educacion Religiosa En Un Contexto De Pluralismo Y Tolerancia (Religious Education in a Context of Pluralism and Tolerance), Coordinador: Ramon Takeli Dyssyrama. Granada , Spain : Universidad de Granada and Centro UNESCO de Andalucia, 2001.
- Groff, Linda. “Indicators for a Culture of Peace and Nonviolence,” invited Paper for “Assessing a Culture of Peace” Working Conference, Clark University , Wooster , MA . (Fall 2001) for future planned book focusing on the U.N.'s eight characteristics of a Culture of Peace.
- Groff, Linda. “Seven Concepts in the Evolution of Peace Thinking,” in Peacebuilding: Newsletter of the Peace Education Commission of the International Peace Research Association, Vol. 3, No. 1 (January 2001), pp. 11-15.
- Groff, Linda. “A Holistic View of Peace Education” in Special Issue of Journal of Social Alternatives , Vol. 21, No. 1 (January 2002), pp. 7-10, on “Peace Education for a New Century,” Ed. by Ian Harris and John Synott.
- Groff, Linda. “Education for a Holistic, Integrative View of Peace.” Longer, draft article (2003). Possible publisher, Peace & Change: A Journal of Peace Research.
- Groff, Linda, & Smoker, Paul. “New Paradigms of Peace & Security,” Paper , Malaysia Peace Conference (1994).
- Groff, Linda. “Future Visions of Peace and Security,” Conference Papers (2000, & 2001).
- Groff, Linda. “A Rare Opportunity” (to participate in mapping groups in the Los Angeles community working in different areas of peace), in Newsletter , Center for the Advancement of Nonviolence and its Network for a Culture of Peace and Nonviolence (Fall 2002).
- Groff, Linda. “Conflict Dynamics from a Systems Viewpoint,” Paper, International Peace Research Association Conference, Suwon, S. Korea (July 2002).
- Groff, Linda. “Violence in a Nonviolent World (or Nonviolence in a Violent World)?” in Peace & Policy: Journal of the Toda Institute for Global Peace and Policy Research, Vol. 8 (2003).
- Groff, Linda. “Replacing the Bush Doctrine,” Conference Paper; and later article in Special Issue, “The U.S. in World Affairs,” in Peace & Policy: Journal of the Toda Institute for Global Peace and Policy Research, Vol. 9 ( 2004).
- Groff, Linda. “Current Crises Challenging U.S. Democracy, and Alternative Future Scenarios,” in Democracy and Futures , Ed. by Mika Mannermaa, Jim Dator, and Paula Tiihonen. Book published to commemoratethe 100th Anniversary of the Finnish Parliament. Helsinki : Finnish Parliament, 2006.
- Groff, Linda. “A Holistic, Evolving View of Peace, With Implications for Development,” in Journal of Globalization for the Common Good (2007).
- Groff, Linda. “Holistic, Evolving Views of Peace,” in International Encyclopedia of Peace. New York : Oxford University Press (forthcoming 2008).
- Groff, Linda. “Evolving Views of Nonviolence,” in International Encyclopedia of Peace. New York : Oxford University Press (forthcoming 2008).
- Groff, Linda . A Holistic, Integrative View of Peace, Based on Evolving Views of Peace and Nonviolence . Long Monograph/Book in process, based on numerous earlier published articles and draft papers. Will include seven evolving aspects of peace, progress in each, contributions of different cultural-religious groups to each, positive and negative indicators for each, writers and NGOs working in each area, relevant web pages for each, implications for peace education and development, evolving views of nonviolence; a glossary of relevant terms, and other items.
- Groff, Linda. Reader on Evolving Views of Peace, Leading to a Holistic, Integrative View of Peace. Combination of Long Monograph (above) by Linda Groff and a Reader (150 pages) of original writings by others on seven aspects of peace and nonviolence. Use Reader in different ways in two of my classes: (1) Conflict, Violence, Nonviolence, and Peace; and (2) Intercultural Communication, Interreligious Dialogue, and Peace.