Richard Keith Gordon, Ph.D.
Title: Professor of Education, Teacher Education
Office: COE 1401A
Phone Extension: x3754
Email Username: rgordon
- An Examination of Dowa and Minzokugakkyu Educational Models in Japan : Broad based Implications for Multicultural Education, Ruth Ahn and Richard Gordon, in Global Issues in Education: Pedagogy, Policy, School Practices, and the Minority Experience, Greg Wiggan and Charles Hutchison, (in press)
- "Omni-Education A Teaching and Learning Framework for Social Justice in Urban Classrooms" Gordon Richard; Lalas Jose; McDermott Cynthia. Kendall Hunt Publishing, 2006.
- “Collaboration for Educational Change,” ERIC ED 458 674, 2001.
- “Teacher Work Sampling,” Tokyo Gakugei Annual Research Report vol. 1 2001.
- "Omni-education: A Developmental View of Experience," Heinemann, 1997.
- "The Mosaic of Urban School Reform," in Integrative Education by Renate Caine, Carnegie Press, 1993.
- "Effective Strategies for Managing the Multicultural Classroom:Understanding Cultural Diversity" in Strategies for Effective Classroom Management: Creating a Collaborative Environment, Barbara Larrivee, Allyn & Bacon, 1992.
- "Multicultural Education and The School of Education : A Resource Manual," CSUSB, 1990.
- "The Mosaic Of Urban Education: A Case Description," Center for Integrative Learning CSUSB, July 1990.
- "The Role of Subjective Experience in Educational Research" Philosophy of Education Proceedings: 1983 Illinois St. Univ. Normal , IL . 1984.
- "Partners in Educational Progress" Los Angeles Unified School District, Spotlight, 14 (December 1984).
- "Science and Mathematics Teachers and Student Needs," Los Angeles Unified School District Spotlight, 6, (October 1984)
- "Education: Black Students' Perceptions and Interpretations," Telementry UCLA School of Education, 5 (2), 1977.
- "Educational Justice," UCLA Educator, 19 (1) 1976.
- "Urban Education" Peterson's Graduate Programs in Business, Education, Health & Law, Beverly vonVorys, (ed.) Peterson's Guides, Princeton , 1987-1992.
- “Pedagogical Practices for Japanese Minorities: Buraku and Korean Student Academic Achievement,” Comparative and International Education Society | 52 nd Annual Conference, March 17 – 21, 2008
- “Ways to Enhance Achievement and Resiliency in Education (WE ARE) Peace and Non-Violence Training for 9th Grade Students,” 3rd Annual CSU Conference on Community-Based Teaching and Research: From Local to Global Perspectives, Los Angeles , March 07 - 08, 2008
- “The Benefits of Japan and United States collaborative research,” AACTE, New Orleans , February 7 - 10, 2008
- An Examination of Dowa and Minzokugakkyu Educational Models in Japan :
- Broad-based Implications for Multicultural Education , National Association of Multicultural Education (N.A.M.E.), Baltimore, MD, 2007
- “ A Systematic Approach to Teaching and Learning: Omni-Education,” California Council of Teacher Education, San Diego , Oct. 2007
- “ An Examination of Dowa and Minzokugakkyu Educational Models in Japan :
- Broad-based Implications for Multicultural Education,” National Association of Multicultural Education, Baltimore , Nov. 2007
- “Japanese and US Students Not in Education, Employment and Training (NEET) Japanese and U.S. Teacher Education Consortium (JUSTEC), University of Hawaii , July 2007
- “Science Numbers That Count: Opportunities, Achievement, and Effective Instruction for African American Students; National Alliance of Black School Educators, November 2002
- Highlights of California 's Professional Teaching Credential: Teacher Performance Expectations and Teacher Performance Assessment; with Steven Lee, JUSTEC, Naruto , Japan , October 2002
- “Overview of Professional Development Schools: A Model for Japanese Attached Schools, Tokyo Gakugei University , May 2001
- “Collaboration for Educational Change, Professional Development,” Tokyo Gakugei University , March 2001
- “International Programs in the United States ”: Designing Education for the Learning Society , Netherlands , and November 2000
- “Sweet Mother,” Creating Linguistic Parity in a Bilingual Urban Classroom through Song”: National Alliance of Black School Educators, Philadelphia , PA. November, 2000
- “Lessons in Cross Curriculum Use of Multicultural Literature for K-12 Students”: National Black Child Development Institute, Washington D.C. , October 2000
- “Classroom Lesson Planning using Constructivist Principles”: JUSTEC, International Seminar on Teacher Education, Tamagawa University, Tokyo Japan, July 2000
- “Constructivist Teaching Practices in Japan and the United States : A Comparative Study”: JUSTEC, International Seminar on Teacher Education, Tamagawa University , Tokyo Japan , July, 2000
- “Four Approaches to Multicultural Teaching”: CSUDH Cultural Diversity Conference, April 2000
- “Evolving Issues in Multicultural Education: Lessons from the Burakumin - A Japanese Minority”: Global and International Education Conference, CSUDH May 1999
- “The Millennium is Now ”: Keynote Address, Global and International Education Conference, CSUDH May 1999
- "Finding Self-Determination through Discrimination," - International Committee to End Racism and Discrimination - Burakumin Liberation League, 50th anniversary recognition of the UN's Universal Declaration on Human Rights, Fukuoka Japan, November, 1998
- "Taming Bureaucracies and Implementing Change," National Black Child Development Institute, Chicago, 1998
- " The Talented Tenth and Multicultural Education” Fukuoka Committee on Human Rights, Fukuoka , Japan , June 1998.
- "Collaboration among Universities and K-12 School Districts," JUSTEC Conference, Kyoto , Japan , June 1998
- "Wherefore Diversity" William T. Stokes Faculty Lecture, Armstrong Atlantic University, April 1998
- "Demystifying the Standardized Test," Allendale Elementary School , Pasadena , CA February, 1998
- "Successes and Challenges of a Large-scale, Higher Education/PreK-12 Teacher Preparation and Professional Development Collaborative" AACTE February, 1998
- "Multicultural Education and the Burakumin - A Japanese Minority,"Institute for Japan Studies, October, 1996
- "Multicultural Education in the 21st Century", Enhancing MinorityAttainment VI Conference. September, 1996
- "Teaching the Angry White Male," CSU Institute for Teaching.February, 1996
- "Resources for Learning English as a Second Language - Tips on Selection,"English Language Learning for the 21st Century. January, 1996
- "A Collaborative, Beginning Urban-Teacher Training Program", Enhancing Minority Attainment V Conference. September, 1995
- "A School and University and Business Collaboration Equals Skilled Professionals for the Present and Future," Educating One-Third of a NationV: Constructing the Next American Dream. October, 1995
- “Urban School and Urban University Collaboration,” Ninth AnnualConference on Recruitment and Retention of Minorities in Education. April, 1995
- “Language Clarification of African-American Achievement,” National Alliance of Black School Educators. November 1994
- "Approaches to Teaching Language Arts in a Bilingual and Multicultural Setting," Association of Teacher Educators. February 1993
- "Discourse Patterns in Bilingual Bicultural Urban Classrooms,” California Educational Research Association. November 12, 1992
- "Multicultural Education or Historical Revisionism," National Association of Multicultural Education. February 14, 1992
- "Cultural Expression in the Elementary School - Hey Homeboy, What's Happenin'," The Inclusive University: Multicultural Perspectives in Higher Education. November 7, 1991
- "Educational Foundations of Multicultural Education," National Association for Multicultural Education. February, 1991
- "Recruitment of Underrepresented Students to Teacher Education: Teacher Options Program," National Association for Multicultural Education. February, 1991
- "Preparing Pre-Service Teachers for Urban Schools," AACTE, February, 1991
- "Attracting Underrepresented Students To Teacher Education," California Association of Community Colleges. November, 1991
- "Helping Children With Homework," African - American Family Conference, CSUSB. October, 1990
- "The Self-Esteem and Motivation of Minority School Children," Inghram Elementary School San Bernardino Unified School District In-Service. May, 1990
- "Pre-Service Teacher's Perceptions of Metropolitan School Environments,"
- "Multicultural Education," CSUSB. March, 1990
- "Beyond Assertive Discipline: Developing Student Self-Esteem and Motivation," San Bernardino Unified School District Discipline Conference. March, 1990
- "The Power of Education," Project S.T.R.I.D.E. San Bernardino Department of Recreation. February 1990
- "Teaching in the Multicultural Classroom," CSUSB Multicultural EducationConference. April 1989
- 2007 Los Angeles Unified School District, WE ARE, Santee H.S. $8,000
- 2006 Los Angeles Unified School District , Transition Institutes, $15,000
- 2005-06 CCTC Intern Grant – co-director, $150,000
- 2005 Lynwood School District Educational Reform Initiative $25,000
- 2002 AACTE / CDC– Building A Future Without AIDS, Collaboration with Carson High School , $15,000
- 2002 Institute for the Study for Cultural Diversity and Internationalization, CSUDH, $1500
- 2000 Institute for the Study for Cultural Diversity and Internationalization, CSUDH, $500
- 1997-2001 Annenberg Metropolitan School Reform Project, Pasadena Unified School District & CSUDH $1.825 M
- 1996 Ascendant Multicultural Curriculum Research Program,
- Compton Unified School District ; $55,000
- 1996 Multicultural Education in Japan . Kyushu Sangyo
- University, Fukuoka , Japan ; $2,000
- 1996 Ascendant Multicultural Curriculum Research Program,
- Long Beach Unified School District and Los Angeles
- Unified School District ; $40,000
- 1995 Affirmative Action Award CSUDH. Japanese Burakumin
- Education; $3,000
- 1994 ARCO Foundation, Model School Continuation Grant;
- 1994 State of California Alternative Certification Grant;
- 1993 Pacific Telesis: Seed grant for Center for African
- American Educational Excellence; $30,000
- 1993 ARCO Foundation, " Model School Continuation Grant;
- 1992 CSU Foundation - Release time for manuscript
- preparation; $4,000.00
- 1992 ARCO Foundation, " Model School Implementation at a
- Middle School Site;" $50,000.00
- 1992 California State University Foundation Award
- "Systematic Approach to Urban School Reform;" $3,500.00
- 1991 California State University Chancellor's Grant Research,
- Scholarship, Award "Implementation of the California
- Literature Project Learning Strategies in an Urban
- School;" $4,500.00
- 1990 Affirmative Action Professional Development Grant,
- CSUSB; $2,783
- 1989 Affirmative Action Professional Development Grant,
- CSUSB; $1,200
- 1988 Affirmative Action Professional Development Grant,
- CSUSB; $2,612
Photographs from Research Projects
Nursery School Children in Japan
(click to enlarge)
For additional photographs, click the links below:
- Richard Gordon, Visiting Scholar in Tokyo
- Dr. Hayashi and School Officials
- Friends at Buraku Center
- School Principal