Mildred García, Ed.D.
Title: President, California State University, Dominguez Hills (2007-June 2012)
- García, M. “Moving Forward” in Women At The Top, What Women University and College Presidents Say About Effective Leadership, Wolverton, M., Bower, Beverly, and Hyle, Adrienne. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing, 2009.
- García, M. Foreword in A Measure of Equity: Women’s Progress in Higher Education. Washington, DC: Association of American Colleges and Universities, 2008.
- García, M. “Navigating Diversity in Higher Education and Leadership,” Diversity in Mind and Action, 2008.
- García, M. “Women Building New Leadership Models: Healthy, Diverse, and Inclusive,” “The Presidency,” The American Council on Education’s Magazine for Higher Education Leaders, Winter 2008, Special Supplement, pgs. 2-3.
- García, M. “Democracy, Diversity, & Presidential Leadership,” Liberal Education, Association of American Colleges & Universities, Summer 2007, pgs. 22-27.
- Tierney, W and García, M.“The Dynamic Nature of Privatization in Postsecondary Education,” in USC Urban Ed, Fall/Winter 2006-07, pgs. 20-22.
- García, M.“The Social Contract Imperative,” New York Times website, http://www.nytimes.com/ref/college/adp-garcia.html?8bl, April 6, 2005.
- García, M.“A Means to Move Forward,” in Equality as a Fact, Equality as a Result: A Matter of Institutional Accountability, American Council on Education (2005).
- Rendon, L., García, M. , and Person, D., Transforming the First Year of College for Students of Color , the National Resource Center for the First-Year Experience & Students in Transition, Natonal Resource Center for the First-Year Experience & Students in Transition, University of South Carolina, 2004.
- Turner, C., Antonio, A., García, M. , Laden, B., Nora, A., and Presley, C., Racial and Ethnic Diversity in Higher Education , Ratcliff, J. (series editor) ASHE Reader Series, 2002.
- García, M., Hudgin, C., Musil, C., Netttles, M., Sedlacek, W., and Smith, D. Assessing Campus Diversity Initiatives: A Guide for Campus Practitioners. Washington, DC: Association of American Colleges and Universities, (2002).
- García, M. (guest editor), The Journal of Higher Education, V.71, No.2, Ohio State University Press, March/April 2000.
- García, M. and Leonard L. Baird. The Shape of Diversity: Introduction to a Special JHE. The Jourhnal of Higher Education, V.71, No.2, Ohio State University Press, March/April 2000, p. v - vii.
- Garcia, M. (ed.) Succeeding in an Academic Career: A Guide for Faculty of Color. Westport, CT: Greenwood Publishing Group, ( 2000). Read ebrary verson here.
- Musil, C., García, M., Hudgins, C., Nettles, M., Sedlacek, W., and Smith, D., To Form a More Perfect Union: Campus Diversity Initiatives, Association of American Colleges and Universities, Washington, DC, 1999.
- García, M., and Thompson, C., “Latinos as Academics: The Difficult Road to Equity,” in Education of Hispanics in the United States: Politics, Policies, and Outcomes , Tashakorri and Ochoa, editors, EMS Press, 1999.
- García, M. (ed.) Affirmative Action's Testament of Hope: Strategies for a New Era. New York: SUNY Press, (1997). Review of book.
- García, M. and Ratcliff, J. "Social Forces Acting on Today's Curriculum," in The Handbook of the Undergraduate Curriculum, Jerry Gaff and James Ratcliff (eds.), Association of American Colleges and Universities, Spring 1996.
- García, M. "Engendering Student Services," in Gender and Power in the Community College - New Directions for Community Colleges , Barbara Townsend, editor. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, (No. 89, Spring 1995), pp. 29 - 37.
- García, M. and Smith, D., "Reflecting Inclusiveness in the College curriculum," in Educating a New Majority, Laura Rendon and Richard Hope, editors. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, (1996), pp. 65-288.
- Turner, C., García, M. , Nora, A, and Rendon, L.I. (eds.) Racial and Ethnic Diversity in Higher Education - ASHE Reader Series . Needham Heights, MA: Simon & Schuster, (1996).
- Musil, C., García, M. , Moses, Y., and Smith, D. Diversity in Higher Education: A Work in Progress. Washington, D.: Association of American College and Universities, (October,1995).
- García, M. "Current Issues and Problems," Associate Editor in Foundations of American Higher Education - ASHE Reader Series, James L. Bess, editor. Lexington: Ginn Press, 1991, pp. 675 - 677.
- García, M. "The Sojourn: From Faculty to Administration." Journal for Higher Education Management, Vol 5, No. 2 (Winter/Spring 1991), pp. 15 - 21.
- García, M. "The Montclair State College Assessment Model," (part 1), in Conference Proceedings - The 1990 Montclair Assessment Conference: Strategies and Prospects for the Decade , Robert McCormick, editor. Nutley: Delgen Press (March 1991).
- García, M., "Assessing Program Effectiveness in an Institution with a Diverse Student Body," in The Effect of Assessment on Minority Student Participation , Michael Nettles, editor. New Directions for Institutional Research, No. 65, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, (Spring 1990).
- García, M., Sandra, and Stephens, R. "An Institutional Response to Racism: A
Comprehensive Approach," Conference Proceedings: The Minority Student Today
Conference, San Antonio, Texas, October 10, 1989. View proceedings here.