Barbara R. Chrispin, Ph.D.
Title: Emeritus Professor, Management
Department: Management and Marketing
Office: SBS D-326
Phone Extension: x3584
Email Username: bchrispin
Publications and Delivered Papers
- (with Elizabeth Johnson) “Prison Reform Requires Changes in Authority,” American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, Vol. 24, Issue 3, August 2007, pp. 1-2.
- (with Jim Katzenstein) “Integrating Technology into the Medical Environment of a Developing African Country,” Human-Computer Interaction (4) 2007: 468-473.
- (with Jim Katzenstein) “The Effect of Cultural Diversity on the Design of a Telemedicine System in Tanzania,” in The International Journal of Diversity in Organizations, Communities & Nations, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 22-28.
- (with Jim Katzenstein) “Designing a Telemedicine System in Tanzania: a sociotechnical systems approach,” in Human and Organizational Dynamics in E-Health, D. Bangert and R. Doctor (Eds.), Oxford: Radcliffe Publ., 2005.
- “Human Factors in Telehealth/Telemedicine Systems,” paper presented to the Conference on Telemedicine, Mizoram, India, Sept. 22-24, 2003.
- “The Role of Culture in Managing the Overseas Assignment,” paper presented to the International Faculty Partnership Conference, Blaubeuren, Germany, June 24 – 29, 2001.
- (with Dorothy Fisher and Steve Fisher) “How E-Commerce is Reshaping our Business Models and Coordinating Structures: Implications for Managerial Practice,” Proceedings, Western Decision Sciences Institute, April 18-22, 2000.
- with Dorothy Fisher and Steve Fisher) “An E-Commerce SWOT Analysis,” Proceedings, American Society of Business and Behavioral Sciences, February 17-21, 2000.
- (with Jim Katzenstein) ) “The Impact of Information Technology on the Culture and Social System of Organizations,” Proceedings, Western Decision Sciences Institute, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, April 6-10, 1999.
- (with Jim Katzenstein “The Networking Enterprise: Changing the Organization's Mental and Technical Software,” Proceedings, American Society of Business and Behavioral Sciences, Las Vegas, Nevada, Feb. 18-23, 1999.
- (with Dorothy Fisher) “Managing Telecommuters: An Out-Of-Bounds Experience,” Proceedings, Western Decision Sciences Institute. Kona, Hawaii, March 1997.
- “Managing the Workforce to Meet the Needs of a New Business Environment,” Proceedings, Academy of Business Administration International Conference, Athens, Greece, July 1996.
- “Improving Performance in the Brazilian Workplace,” Proceedings, International Academy of Business Administration International Conference, London, England, June 1995.
- "Developing Effective Cross-Cultural Training and Development Programs," Middle East Advisory Group (MEAG), Cairo, Egypt, May 27, 1994.
- Employment and Manpower Development in the Maquiladora Industry: Reaching Maturity, in The Maquiladora Industry: Economic Solution or Problem?, Khosrow Fatemi (Ed), New York: Praeger Publ. Co., Chap. 5, 1990.
- "Maquiladora and Manpower Development in the Border Region," North American Economic and Finance Association, 6th International Congress, Mexico City, Mexico, Aug 7 - 9, 1990.
- "Production-Sharing in Mexic Trends in Employment and Manpower Development," Southwest Federation of Administrative Disciplines, New Orleans, LA, Mar. 8-10, 1989.
- Manpower Development in the Maquiladora Industry: Fact or Fiction? in U.S.- Mexican Economic Relations: Prospects and Problems, Khosrow Fatemi (Ed) New York: Praeger Publ. Co., Chap. 9, June 1988.
- "Social Responsibility in the Maquiladora Industry: Social and Labor Impacts," Pacific Coast Council on Latin American Studies, Tempe, AZ, Oct. 8-11, 1987.
- Manpower Development in Maquiladora Industry: Fact or Fiction? Proceedings, International Symposium on North American Economies in the 1990s, Institute for International Trade, Laredo State University, Laredo, TX, Apr. 1987.
- "A View of the Maquiladora Industry from a Human Resource Management Perspective," Annual Conference of the Western Social Science Association, El Paso, TX, Apr. 22-25, 1987.
- Contributor, The Development and Implementation of an International Business Concentration with a Pacific Basin Focus, Final Report, CSUDH, 1985.
- "University Programs for Preparing the Global Manager: Which is the Better Approach?" Western Academy of Management, Vancouver, BC, Apr. 11-14, 1984.
- (co-author) California Shared Work Unemployment Insurance, Final Report. California Employment Development Department, Sacramento, CA 1983.
- An Abbreviated Labor Market Survey for the Carson/Lomita/Torrance Consortium under the Job Training Partnership Act. Final Report, City of Torrance, Torrance, CA, 1983.
- "Work Sharing vs Layoffs: What are the Benefits?" Western Academy of Management, Santa Barbara, CA, Mar. 25-26, 1983.
- (With Fred Best, Project Director et al.) The California Work Sharing UI Program, Interim Evaluation Report, Shared Work Evaluation Unit, California Employment Development Department, Sacramento, CA, 94814, 1982.
- "The Impact of Work Sharing Unemployment Insurance in Firms," Western Academy of Management, Colorado Springs, CO, Apr. 1-3, 1982.
- "Work Sharing Unemployment Insurance: Impact on Firms," First National Conference - Work Sharing UI, San Francisco, CA, May 14-16, 1981.
- Social and Behavioral Science Majors, Monograph, California State University, Dominguez Hills, CA, 1979.
- (Co-Editor) The Small College: Three Years of Planned Change in a State College Setting, Final Report, Division of Institutional and New Program Development, California State University, Dominguez Hills, Carson, CA, 1975.
- The Impact of Company Training Programs on Reducing the Alienation of the Hard-Core Unemployed, in Abstracts of Seven Doctoral Dissertations Completed under Manpower Grants, L. Klein (ed.), Manpower Research Monograph No. 34, USDOL, 1975.
- The Impact of Company Training Programs on Reducing the Alienation of the Hard-Core Unemployed, published dissertation, Report No. DLMA 91-05079-28-1, Department of Labor, Manpower Administration, 1971.
- (With Fielstra, C. F.) Phase I of the Secondary School Project for An Introduction to the Allied Health Professions, Evaluation Report, UCLA, Division of Vocational Education, September 1972.
- (With Fielstra, C. F.) Evaluation Study Design, Phase I of the Secondary School of Project for an Introduction to the Allied Health Professions, Report, UCLA, Division of Vocational Education, February 1971.
- (With Cogswell, J.F., Estavan, D.P., and C.P. Donahue, Jr.) The Design of a Man-Machine Counseling System. Programmed Learning, London, England, January 1968, pp. 43-52.
- (With Cogswell, J.F., Estavan, D.P., and C.P. Donahue, Jr.) Exploratory Study of Information Processing Procedures and Computer-Based Technology in Vocational Counseling, SDC Document TM-3718 , October 26, 1967, 256 pp.
- An Ethical and Moral Analysis of the Design for a Man-Machine Counseling System: Reactions by a UCLA Graduate Class in Counseling, SDC Document SP-2874 , June, 1967.
- (With Cogswell, J.F., Estavan, D.P., and C.P. Donahue, Jr.) The Design of a Man-Machine Counseling System, SDC Document SP-2576/001/01 , 1967.
- Curricula Content for Six Technologies, Champaign, Illinois: University Press, 1965, Chapter 8.
- The Effects of Programmed Instruction on Attitude and Achievement, Report, Board of Vocational Education and Rehabilitation, Springfield, Illinois, 1965.
- Curricula Content for Technical Education, Final Report, Cooperative Research Project 2048, University of Illinois, 1964, Chapter 7.
- (With W.J. Schill) "The Role of Training in Man-Machines", Training Directors Journal, April 1964, pp. 39-44.
Grants and Funded Research
- Survey of Human Resource professionals in the Brazilian Business Community. Funded by CSUDH Sabbatical Leave.
- Transferring the Pedagogy of the MBA Online Program to SOM On-campus Courses. Funded by CSUDH.
- Survey of Cross-Cultural Training in California Companies. Funded by CSUDH Intramural Funded Projects for Faculty Research, Scholarship and Creative Activity.
- Survey of forty industry officials in the Mexican Maquiladora Industry. Funded by CSUDH.
- Development and Implementation of an International Business Concentration with a Pacific-Basin Focus. Funded by the U.S. Department of Education, Title VI.
- Evaluation of the California Work Sharing Unemployment Insurance Program. Funded by the California Employment Development Department and the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Development of a Consortium for Alternative Programs (CAPstone) to support cooperative activities between the State University and the Community Colleges and open new options for students. Funded by New Program Development and Evaluation, Office of the Chancellor, California State University and Colleges.
- Development and evaluation of an individualized, interdisciplinary program to test new instructional processes and combinations of subject-matter. Funded by the Carnegie Corporation of New York and the Office of the Chancellor, the California State University and College System.
- Development, implementation and evaluation of a three (3) year, student-oriented, career education program designed to introduce secondary school students to allied health occupations. Funded by U.S. Department of Labor.
- Development and implementation of a research design for evaluating demonstration Head Start Programs. Funded by the U.S. Office of Equal Opportunity.
- Development, implementation, and evaluation of an exploratory study of information processing procedures and computer-based technology in vocational counseling. Included national survey of counseling and information-processing practices in Vocational Education, systems analysis of counseling operations in the Los Angeles City School District, a counselor training and implementation of a revised systems design for counseling. Funded by the U.S. Office of Education.
- Determining core curriculum for technical occupations. Funded by the U.S. Office of Education.
Awards and Honors
- Visiting Professor, University Study Abroad Consortium (USAC), Turin, Italy, 2001.
- Recipient, ASI Certificate of Achievement for dedication and service to students, 2000.
- Recipient of the Hyundai Award for SOM Outstanding Professor (1997-98)
- Fellow, America Association of State Colleges and Universities' Academic Leadership Academy Program, 1992-1994.
- Recipient, CSUDH Meritorious Performance and Professional Promise Award (MPPP), 1986 and 1988.