José Rósbel López Morín, Ph.D.
Title: Chair, Chicana/Chicano Studies Department
Coordinator, Division of World Cultural and Gender Studies
Department: Chicana/Chicano Studies
Office: LCH B-314
Phone Extension: x3949
Email Username: jmorin
Area of Expertise: none given
Summary: none given
Show All Scholarship In Progress Authored Book Publications Articles & Book Reviews in Refeered Journals Professional Reviewer for Grants and Refeered Journals Publications in Non-Refeered Journals Presentations for Social Community Activism Musical/Cultural Performances Off-Campus Community Partnership Work Awards and Grants
Scholarship In Progress
- Principle Investiator, "The American Dream Program" at CSUDH, a non-profit, non-partisan operation to aid the South Bay immigrant community. A Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) grant proposal, specifically Hispanic-Serving-Institution Assisting Communities Program (HISIAC)
- Book. El Legado de Américo Paredes. Spanish edition.
- [Translator] Stephenson, Robert. Musica en México: un resumen histórico. Originally published as Music in Mexico: A Historical Survey (1952).
Authored Book Publications
- 2006 - The Legacy of Américo Paredes. Texas A&M University Press. Available at CSUDH Library in print and as an e-book.
Articles & Book Reviews in Refeered Journals
- 2008 - Book Review. The Journey to Latino Political Representation, by John P. Schmal. Aztlan: A Journal of Chicano Studies. pp. 259-261.
- 2005 - "The Life and Early Works of Americo Paredes." Western Folklore. Spring.
- 2002 -Book Review. City of Suspects: crime in Mexico City, 1900-1931, by Pablo Piccato. Studies in Latin American Popular Culture 21. pp. 261-262
- 2000 - "Interview with Americo Paredes." With Hector Calderon. Nepantla: Views from South, 1:1. Durham: Duke University Press, July. pp. 197-228.
- 1993-94 - "Redefining Epic and Novel through Rulfo's Pedro Paramo and Rivera's Y no se lo tago la tierra. Mester: A Literary Journal of the Graduate Students of the Department of Spanish and Portuguese. University of California, Los Angeles. Vol. XXII-XXIII, Fall/Spring, Vol 2-1. pp. 63-69.
Professional Reviewer for Grants and Refeered Journals
- 2013 - Grant Reviewer. "Facilitating Research and Creative Activities Program." San Francisco State University
- 2010 - Grant Reviewer. U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, "Hispanic-Serving-Institutions Assisting Communities (HSIAC) program applications." Washington D.C.
- 2009 - Anonymous Reviewer. "The Journal of American Folklore." Six articles.
Publications in Non-Refeered Journals
- 2006 - [Translator] Oliverez, Paz M., Maria Lucia Chavez, Mayra Soriano, and William G. Tierney, editors. La guia del colegio communitario/universidad y ayuda financiera para: estudiantes inmigrantes indocumentados AB-540. Originally published as The College and Financial Aid Guide for: AB-540 Undocumented Immigrant Students. USC Center for Higher Education Policy Analysis.
- 2005 - Encyclopedia Entry. Corridos (Mexican and Mexican American folksongs). Greenwood Encyclopedia of American Poetry.
- 2003 - Preface. The Indigenous Roots of a Mexican-American Family, by Donna S. Morales and John P. Schmal. Maryland: Heritage Books.
- 1994 - "Contribution Ignored: Minority Groups Played Vital Roles in World War II." Bakersfield Californian. June 19.
- 1994 - "Mexican Flag: Protestors' Use of Flag Questioned." Bakersfield Californian. November 20.
- 1994 - "Immigrants Do the Work We Won't Do." Bakersfield Californian. May 11.
Presentations for Social Community Activism
- 2011 - Guest Speaker, "The Plight of Migrant Students: Keys for Education Success," Santiago Community College. Orange, CA. July 28.
- 2011 - Presenter, "Folk Groups and Culture: An Overview," U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Hispanic-Serving-Institutions National Conference, Monterey, CA, Feb. 1-3.
- 2006-08 - Translator, "L.A. Harbor Medical Clinic," San Pedro, CA
- 2006 - Guest Speaker, "Cesar E. Chavez, " City of Commerce, March 29.
- 2006 - Keynote Speaker, "The Importance of an Education," San Pedro Adult School, April 27.
- 2002 - Guest Speaker, "Hispanic Heroes, " CSU, Dominguez Hills. September 18.
- 2002 - Keynote Speaker, "21st Century P.A.C.T. Project," UCLA. July 19.
- 2002 - Guest Speaker, "Camp Success 2002," Santa Ana High School. June 26.
- 2002 - Keynote Speaker, "Migrant Youth Leadership Conference," Bakersfield College. April 20.
- 2002 - Advisor/Coordinator, "Cinco de Mayo Week at CSU, Dominguez Hills." April 29-May 5.
- 2001 - Guest Speaker, "La Sociedad Nacional Hispanica, Sigma Delta Pi." California State University, Bakersfield. May 20.
- 2002 - Keynote Speaker, "Nineteenth Annual Migrant Parent Regional Conference." Fresno, California, October 7. "La importancia de la educacion de nuestro hijos" (The Importance of an Education for our Youth). Addressed Spanish-speaking migrant parents about the importance of their children's education.
- 2000 - Co-Coordinator, "Student State Leadership Institute." UCLA Office of Academic Development, June-August.
- 2000 - Co-Organizer, "In Concert with Tish Hinojosa." Royce Hall, May 2.
- 2000 - Co-Coordinator, "The Last Angry Brown Hat." Fowler Museum, April 17.
- 2000 - Co-Coordinator, Culture Clash. "An Intimate Evening of Revolutionary Comedy." Freud Theater, April 14.
- 1998 - Keynote Speaker, "Wasco Community Scholarship Association Awards Ceremony." Wasco, Californian May 21, 1998. "Dream it -- Be it." Addressed graduating Wasco High students who received a community scholarship to further their education.
- 2005 - Vocals/Guitar, "Chicana/o Studies 35th Year Celebration," CSUDH.
- 2002 - Co-Founder/Advisor, "Mariachi Toros de Dominguez Hills," CSUDH.
- 2002 - Vocals/Vihuela, "Chicano/Latino Parent Association," CSUDH.
- 2002 - "Welcome Week at CSU, Dominguez Hills"
- 2002 - Vocals/Guitar, "Unity-Fest," California State University, Dominguez Hills.
- 2002 - Vocals/Guitar, "Cinco de Mayo Festivities," CSUDH.
Off-Campus Community Partnership Work
- 2005-12 - C.A.R.E.C.E.N. (Central American Resource Center).
- 2005-12 - Los Angeles Southwest College, Bridges to Success Center/Puentes al Exito.
- 2005-12 - LA Hermandad Mexicana (Mexican Brotherhood), Immigration Services, Inc.
- 2005-12 - South Bay One-Stop Business and Career Center in Gardena.
- 2005-08 - C.L.I.N.I.C. (Catholic Legal Immigration Network Incorporated Company).
- 2005-08 - International Institute of Los Angeles (IILA), Los Angeles, CA.
Awards and Grants
- 2012 - CSU, Dominguez Hills' Presidential Creative Initiative Program Grant Award.
- 2008 - CSU, Dominguez Hills' Center for Teaching and Learning Travel Grant Award.
- 2007 - CSU, Dominguez Hills' Research and Funded Projects Course Release Grant Award.
- 2002 - CSU, Dominguez Hills' U Campaign Program Grant Award.
- 2002 - CSU, Dominguez Hills' TRW's Employee Charity Organization Grant Award.
- 2000 - UCLA's Latin American Center Travel Fellowship Award.
- 2000 - UCLA's Ben and Rue Pine Travel Fellowship Award.
- 1998-99 - UCLA's Dissertation Year Fellowship Award.
- 1997-98 - UCLA's ATC Restricted Fee Grant Award.
- 1995-96 - UCLA's University Grant Award.
- 1994 - CSU, Bakersfield's CSU Forgivable Loan/Doctoral Incentive Program Award.
- 1991- UCLA's Graduate Opportunity Fellowship Award.