Leena Furtado, Ph.D.
Title: Professor, Education
Office: LIB D407
Phone Extension: x2743
Email Username: lfurtado
Area of Expertise: none given
Summary: none given
- Furtado, L. (Heidi Pastell). Journal of Applied Research in English (2012, Spring - in Press). "Question Answer Relationships Strategy Increases Reading Comprehension Among Kindergarten Students.”
- Furtado, L. (with Dawnette Anderson). Journal of School Leadership (2012 - in Press). “The Reflective Teacher Leader: An Action Research Model.”
- Furtado, L (with Gomez Zwiep, S; Straits, W. J; Stone, K.R; & Beltran, D. D). Journal of Science in Teacher Education (2011) 22:769-789. “The Integration of English Language Development and Science Instruction in Elementary Classrooms.”
- Furtado, L. New Horizons in Education (October 2010) 58(2). “Kindergarten Teachers' Perceptions of an Inquiry-Based Science Teaching and Learning Professional Development Intervention."
- Furtado, L. (with Johnson. L) The Reading Matrix: An International Online Journal–In-press (2010) 10(2). “Enhancing Summarization Skills: Explicit Instruction in Narrative and Expository Text Structures.”
- Furtado, L. The Reading Matrix: An International Online Journal (2008) 8(2). “A Read-Aloud Cross-Age Service Learning Partnership Using Multicultural Stories.”
- Furtado, L. (with Brasell, D.) The Reading Matrix: An International Online Journal (2008), 8(1). “Enhancing English as a Second Language Students’ Vocabulary Knowledge.” (pp 111-116)
- Furtado, L. (with Arita, S.) Clyde Woodworth Elementary School Newsletter, Los Angeles Unified School District, Los Angeles (March Issue, School year 2006-2007). “Becoming Good Readers.”
- Furtado, L. (with Tanaka, M.) The Apple Core Newsletter, Hawthorne School District. Los Angeles (February 2007). “Action Research: I Want my Fourth Graders to Become Proficient Writers.”
- Furtado, L. (with Brand, A.) Toro Times Newsletter, Cesar Chavez Middle School, Lynwood, CA (December, 2007). “The Growth of a Reflective Teacher Practitioner.”
- Furtado, L. The Journal of Current Research And Practices in Language Minority Education (2002) "Language Policy and Choice For Asian-Indians In Immersion Programs" (pp 71-85). (From Doctoral Dissertation)
- Furtado, L. (with Denton & Wu) National Forum of Applied Educational Research Journal Vol. 4 (1), (1994-1995) “Evaluating A Content-Focused Model of Teacher Preparation, Classroom Observations, Student Perceptions, and Student Performance.”
- Furtado, Leena Sabina. Some Factors Relating to Second Language Acquisition among Asian-Indian Students in Immersion Programs. Dissertation, Texas A&M University, 1996.