Leena Furtado, Ph.D.
Title: Professor, Education
Office: LIB D407
Phone Extension: x2743
Email Username: lfurtado
Area of Expertise: none given
Summary: none given
- Furtado, L. (Heidi Pastell). Journal of Applied Research in English (2012, Spring - in Press). "Question Answer Relationships Strategy Increases Reading Comprehension Among Kindergarten Students.”
- Furtado, L. (with Dawnette Anderson). Journal of School Leadership (2012 - in Press). “The Reflective Teacher Leader: An Action Research Model.”
- Furtado, L (with Gomez Zwiep, S; Straits, W. J; Stone, K.R; & Beltran, D. D). Journal of Science in Teacher Education (2011) 22:769-789. “The Integration of English Language Development and Science Instruction in Elementary Classrooms.”
- Furtado, L. New Horizons in Education (October 2010) 58(2). “Kindergarten Teachers' Perceptions of an Inquiry-Based Science Teaching and Learning Professional Development Intervention."
- Furtado, L. (with Johnson. L) The Reading Matrix: An International Online Journal–In-press (2010) 10(2). “Enhancing Summarization Skills: Explicit Instruction in Narrative and Expository Text Structures.”
- Furtado, L. The Reading Matrix: An International Online Journal (2008) 8(2). “A Read-Aloud Cross-Age Service Learning Partnership Using Multicultural Stories.”
- Furtado, L. (with Brasell, D.) The Reading Matrix: An International Online Journal (2008), 8(1). “Enhancing English as a Second Language Students’ Vocabulary Knowledge.” (pp 111-116)
- Furtado, L. (with Arita, S.) Clyde Woodworth Elementary School Newsletter, Los Angeles Unified School District, Los Angeles (March Issue, School year 2006-2007). “Becoming Good Readers.”
- Furtado, L. (with Tanaka, M.) The Apple Core Newsletter, Hawthorne School District. Los Angeles (February 2007). “Action Research: I Want my Fourth Graders to Become Proficient Writers.”
- Furtado, L. (with Brand, A.) Toro Times Newsletter, Cesar Chavez Middle School, Lynwood, CA (December, 2007). “The Growth of a Reflective Teacher Practitioner.”
- Furtado, L. The Journal of Current Research And Practices in Language Minority Education (2002) "Language Policy and Choice For Asian-Indians In Immersion Programs" (pp 71-85). (From Doctoral Dissertation)
- Furtado, L. (with Denton & Wu) National Forum of Applied Educational Research Journal Vol. 4 (1), (1994-1995) “Evaluating A Content-Focused Model of Teacher Preparation, Classroom Observations, Student Perceptions, and Student Performance.”
- Furtado, Leena Sabina. Some Factors Relating to Second Language Acquisition among Asian-Indian Students in Immersion Programs. Dissertation, Texas A&M University, 1996.
In the News
- Bently-Smith, A. (2010). "CSU Dominguez Hills, CAMS High School Awarded HP Catalyst Initiative Grant". Dateline Dominguez, 10/22/10.
Book Reviews and Acknowledgements
- Furtado, L. Journal of Educational Administration (2010) 48(1)-Book Review) “The Leading Way of Changing Meaning” by Sandra Systma.
- Furtado, L. Journal of Educational Administration (2008) 46(5)-Book Review). “The Principal’s Purpose: A Practical Guide to Moral and Ethical School Administration” by Leanna Stohr Isaacson, 2007.
- Furtado, L. Journal of Educational Administration ((2008), 46(3)-Book Review) “Economic Development, Education and Transnational Corporations” by Mark Hanson. 2007.
- Attended the HP Catalyst International Grant Director’s Consortia in March 2012, Beijing, China.
- Presented at the International CamsTesol Conference, Phnom Peng, Cambodia, February, 2012. “A Rule based Summarization Project in reading Comprehension for Language Learners.”
- Presented at the American Education Research Association, New Orleans, April, 2011. “Teachers Learn to Lead in the Classroom: An Action Research Model.”
- Conducted a workshop at the California Association of Bilingual Education, Long Beach, March, 2011. “Combine, Ignite, Fuse: The Synergy of ELD/Science.”
- Presented at the American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Conference in April, 2010, Denver, Colorado. “Thinking and Doing Approach for Language Development: Teaching ELD Through Science.”
- Presented at the California Association of Bilingual Education (CABE) Annual Conference in February, 2010, San Jose, California. “Thinking and Doing Approach for Language Development: Teaching ELD Through Science.”
- Presented at CERA, November 18-19, 2009. “A Reflective Teacher: An Action Research Model”.
- Judged 11 student research presentations (8-noon) at CSUDH Student Research Day, Feb 19, 2009.
- Supported 5 of my student’s Action Research presentation on CSUDH Student Research Day, Feb 19, 2009.
- Presented “Kindergarten Teachers’ Perceptions of an Inquiry-Science Teaching and Learning Professional Development” at the Hawaii International Conference on Education, Honolulu, Hawaii in January 2009.
- Presented “Pathways to Transformative Teacher Leadership” at the 13th Annual Values Conference at Victoria, BC, Canada, Oct, 2008.
- Presented “Cross-Age Read-Aloud Service Learning Partnership Using Multicultural Literature” at the CSU Chancellor’s Service Learning Conference in Los Angeles, March, 2008. See related article here.
- Presented “Cross-age Read Aloud Partners”, at the CSUDH WASC poster session. Feb 14, 2008.
Research Funding/Awards (1997-)
- Director of Title V-Part B (POPHA)-Post-baccalaureate Hispanic Education Grant ($2.5million) grant proposal for all 24 Masters Program at CSUDH. “Promoting Excellence in Graduate Studies -(PEGS).” (October, 2010-September, 2015). See news article here.
- Co-Director and PI of HP Catalyst Grant (150,000). “Virtual Learning: Collaboration, Construction in STEM+ Learning.” August 2010-2012. (CSUDH & CAMS).
- Collaborated in writing the Title V-STEM grant with Dr. William Franklin (2011). The RFP submission option was not offered by Dept of Education.
- Initiated and held discussion with Dr. Kamal Hamdan to support the TTT grant from (2009-) with a MA: Curriculum and Instruction (Science Option) program.
- Submitted (May, 2009) to California Post-Secondary Education Commission (CPEC) grant proposal for ($1 million) in collaboration with Montebello Unified School District and WestEd K-12 Alliance. “SUI Academic Achievement Partnership.” The proposal did not get accepted. Received the WASC mini-grant ($4000) for Civic Engagement study for 2006-2007.
- Member, SCALE/QED Grant - (2005-) Elementary and Secondary Science curriculum courses and professional development in the MA: Curriculum and Instruction program option for K-12 teachers in Los Angeles
- Received CSUDH Teaching and Learning Center Research Grant for $1600 to pursue program improvement research study 2003-2004.
- Received the Dean's Research fund for 2000 ($2500).
- Received Service Learning Grant ($3,500) for 2001-2002.
- Awarded 3 units of assigned time for Spring 1999 to implement a language immersion program at Parkridge Elementary School, Corona/Norco School District, Riverside County, California.
- Received the Deans ($3,500) to collect data in India for post doctoral dissertation research.
- Received $1,200.00 from the Sally Casanova Memorial Research Development Awards program, Nov 1997. “English Immersion Through Spanish Instruction” pilot study to be developed, implemented, and documented at the Corona/Norco Unified School District by June 1998.