Ramon Torrecilha, Ph.D.
Title: Professor, Sociology
Office: SBS G-319
Phone Extension: x2106
Email Username: rtorrecilha
- 2000 - Archibald O. Haller, Ramon S. Torrecilha, Maria C. Del Peloso Haller, and Manoel M. Tourinho. "Os niveis de desenvolvimento da poulacao da Amazonia Brasileira -- 1979 e 1980." Historia Ciencias Saude-Manguinhos VI (Setembro): 941-973.
- 1999 - Ramon S. Torrecilha, Lionel Cantu, and Quan Nguyen. "Puerto Ricans in the U.S." Anthony G. Dworkin and Rosalind J. Dworkin (eds.), The Minority Report. Harcourt Brace, 1999: 230-254.
- 1998 - Susan Blank and Ramon S. Torrecilha. "Understanding the Living Arrangements of Latino Immigrants: A Life Course Approach." International Migration Review 32(1):3-19.
- 1996 - Archibald O. Haller, Ramon S. Torrecilha, Maria C. Del Peloso Haller, and Manoel M. Tourinho."The Socioeconomic Development of the People of Amazonia Brazil, 1970 and 1980." Journal of Developing Areas 30 (April): 293-316.
- 1996 - Ramon S. Torrecilha. "Wandering Between Two Worlds, One Dead the Other Powerless to Be Born." Becky Thompson and Sangeeta Tyagi (eds.),Names We Call Home: Autobiography on Racial Identity, Routledge: 265-273.
- 1995 - Judith Treas and Ramon S. Torrecilha. "The Older Population: Demographic, Social, and Economic Trends." Reynolds Farley (ed.), The State of the Union 2. Russel Sage Foundation: 265-273.
- 1994 - Dennis J. Downey and Ramon S. Torrecilha. "Sociology of Race and Ethnicity and the Challenges of Comparative Multicultural Courses." Teaching Sociology 22:231-47.
- 1992 - Ramon S. Torrecilha. "Rural Poverty, Problem Definition and the New Antipoverty Debate." Sociological Practice Review 3: 140-147.
- 1992 - John F. Longres and Ramon S. Torrecilha. "Race and the Diagnosis, Placement, and Exit Status of Children and Youth in a Mental Health and Disability System." Journal of Social Service Research 15:43-63.
- 1990 - Ramon S. Torrecilha and Gary D. Sandefur. "State Characteristics and the Migration of the Disadvantaged." CDE Working Paper Series, 90-19. Center for Demography and Ecology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI.
- 1989 - Douglas T. Gurak, Luis Falcon, Gary D. Sandefur, and Ramon S. Torrecilha. "A Comparative Examination of the Link Between Premarital Cohabitation and Subsequent Martial Stability." Population and Development Program, Working Paper Series, 1.15. Department of Rural Sociology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
- 1987 - Ramon S. Torrecilha and William Gates. "Optimal Organization of Census Migration Files: A Case Study." CDE Working Paper Series, 87-44. Center for Demography and Ecology, University of Wicsonsin-Madison, Madison, WI.
- 1996 - Ramon S. Torrecilha. Review of Over the Ivy Walls: The Educational Mobility of Low-Income Chicanos, by Patricia Gandara; and The Leaning Ivory Tower: Latino Professors in American Universities, edited by Raymond V. Padilla and Rudolfo Chavez Chavez. Contemporary Sociology 25 (5): 654-57.
- 1992 - Ramon S. Torrecilha. Review of Health in Rural North America: The Geography of Health Care Services and Delivery, edited by Wilbert M. Gesler and Thomas C. Ricketts. Contemporary Sociology 22 (1): 125-26.
- 1990 - Ramon S. Torrecilha. Review of Social Change in Brazil, 1945-1985: The Incomplete Transition, Edmar L. Bacha and Herbert S. Klein (eds.). Rural Sociology 55 (Fall): 446-49.
- 1989 - Ramon S. Torrecilha. Review of Expressively Black: The Cultural Basis of Ethnic Identity, Geneva Gay and Willie L. Barber. Rural Sociology 54 (Summer): 274-77.
- 1994 - Ramon S. Torrecilha. "Bridging the Diversity Gap." Footnotes (April), American Sociological Association.
- 1993 - Ramon S. Torrecilha. "MOSTII Receives Grant to Transform Departments, Curriculum." Footnotes (November), American Sociological Association.
Referee for Journals
- Teaching Sociology
- International Migration Review
- Rural Sociology
- American Sociological Review
- Journal of Latino Studies
- Harper Collins College Publishers
Fellowships and Honors
- 2002 - Salzburg Seminar, Universities Project, Salzburg, Austria
- 1992, 1991 - Rural Sociological Society, Travel Scholarship Award
- 1991 - Woodrow Wilson National Dissertation Fellowship
- 1991 - Gamma Sigma Delta
- 1991 - John H. Kolb Award, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 1987-1990 - National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Training Grant
- 1988 - Evelyn T. Crowe Award, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 1986 - The University of Wisconsin Alumni Club of Portland Award
- 1986 - Chris Bernett Award, Department of Sociology, Portland State University
- Commissioner, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), 2010
- Board of Delegates, Alta Bates Summit Foundation, 2010-Present
- New York State Education Department, Site Visit, Briarcliffe College, Bethpage, NY, 2005
- Editorial Board, Teaching Sociology, American Sociological Association, 2002-Present
- Executive Committee, Eastern Sociological Society, 1998-2001
- Member, Dissertation Award Committee, American Sociological Association, 1997-1999
- Editorial Board, Journal of Studies in International Education, 1996-1999
- Editorial Board, Latino Review of Books, 1995-1999
- Council Member, Latina/o Section, American Sociological Association, 1995-1999
- Co-Chair, Committee on Diversity, Rural Sociology Society, 1994-Present
- Member, Planning Group on Minority Women in Science, Engineering, and Health Care Professionals, National Research Center, 1994
- Member, Committee on Quality of Information Available on Graduate and Professional Education, U.S. Department of Education, 1994
- Chair, Committee on the Status of Racial and Ethnic Minorities in Sociology, Pacific Sociological Association, 1993-1995
- Member, Civil Rights Committee, Pacific Sociological Association, 1993-1995
- Chair, Research Unit, Chicano/Latino Studies Program, University of California, Irvine, 1991-1992
- Chair, Membership Committee, Latina/o Section, American Sociological Association, 1991-1992
- Member, Population Interest Group, Rural Sociological Society, 1988-1992
In the News
- 2012 Amy Bently-Smith. "Ramon Torrecilha: Meet the Provost." Dateline Dominguez, April 16, 2012.
- 2012 Amy Bently-Smith. “CSU Dominguez Hills Names New Provost.” Dateline Dominguez, January 18, 2012.