Carrie Ann Skirlick Blackaller, Ph.D.
Title: Director of Special Education University Intern Program
Department: Special Education
Office: COE 1479
Phone Extension: x3900
Email Username: cablackaller
- The Self-Perceptions and Interpersonal Relationships of Persons with Significant Physical Disabilities: A Qualitative Pilot Study. Journal of Social Work in Disability & Rehabilitation, Vol 6 (3), 1-31.
- Disabilities and Rehabilitation.
- Blackaller, C. A. (2006 & 2005). California Special Education Intern Program Monograph. State of California.
- Blackaller , C.A., Fisher, F., Jackson, J. (1992). Case studies in special education. The TAM Newsletter, 7, 1, 6.
- Blackaller , C.A. (1986). PlayDoh to Picasso. Westside Gifted Children's Association Newsletter, 5, 2.
- Blackaller , C.A. (1972). Auditory perception and learning (Parts 1 & 2). The Marianne Frostig Center of Educational Therapy Newsletter, 13.
Book Reviews and Acknowledgements
- Intellectual Disabilities Across the Lifespan (9 th Edition). C.J. Drew and M. I. Hardman. Columbus, Ohio,: Pearson Merrill Prentice Hall, 2007. Acknowledgement in text.
- Mental Retardation: An Introduction to Intellectual Disabilities (2006). Beirne-Smith, Ittenbach, & Patton. Columbus , Ohio : Pearson Merrill Prentice Hall. Acknowledgement in text.
- Student with Learning Disabilities (2005). Mercer and Pullen.
- Introduction to Special Education (2004). Review contrasting two Introduction to Sp Ed texts.
- International Conference on Learning Disabilities (ICLD); Myrtle Beach, SC ; October 12-13, 2007. Support Provider & Intern Perceptions of Mentoring Needs.
- California Education Research Association (CERA); Laguna Beach, CA; November 28 & 29, 2007. Using Program Assessment and Evaluation for Program Improvement and Accreditation.
- American Education Research Association (AERA); New York, New York ; March 24-28, 2008. Assessing Alternative Special Education Teacher Preparation Program: Implications of University and State Data Sources for Program Improvement.
- Council for Learning Disabilities (CLD); MacLean, VA; October 20-22,2006. Data Driven Decisions to Improve Teacher Preparation
- Council for Exceptional Children (TED/TAM); San Diego, CA ; November 8-11, 2006. Support Provider & Intern Perceptions of Mentoring Needs
- California BTSA/Intern Statewide Directors Conference; Sacramento, CA; November 14-16, 2006. Exploring Alternative Routes to Teacher Education Certification
- California Education Research Association (CERA) 85 th Annual Conference; Monterey, CA ; November 16-17, 2006. Support Provider and Intern Perceptions of Mentoring Needs: Assisting The Induction Process.
- Hawaii International Conference; Honolulu , HI, January, 2007. Exploration of Alternative routes to Teacher Education Certification: Building Collaborations Between University and School District
- American Education Research Association (AERA); Chicago, IL, April 9-13, 2007. Assessing Teacher Preparation Programs: Implications of Four Data Sources for Accreditation and Program Improvement.
- Council for Exceptional Children Annual Convention (CEC); Louisville, KY; April 18-21, 2007. Support Provider and Intern Perceptions of Mentoring Needs.
- National Association of Alternative Certification (NAAC); Washington, D.C. ; April 3-6, 2007. Mentoring Needs and Activities in an Alternative Certification Program for Special Education Interns from Multiple Data Sources.
- International Association of Special Education (IASE). Hong Kong, China; June 10-14, 2007. Family Resources in Portugal and the United States
- American Educational Research Association (AERA); San Francisco, CA; April 8-12, 2006The Use of Multiple Data Sources to Evaluate the Effectiveness of an Alternative Special Education Teacher Preparation Program.
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC); Salt Lake City, UT; April 5-8, 2006. Formal and Informal Resources Among Families in Portugal and the United States .
- National Association for Alternative Certification (NAAC); Chicago, Il ; March 27-29, 2006. Support Provider and Intern Perceptions of Mentoring Needs.
- Learning Disabilities Association (LDA); Jacksonville, FL ; March 1-4, 2006. Data Driven Decisions to Improve Teacher Preparation Programs.
- California Educational Research Assoc. (CERA); Long Beach, CA; November 18 th & 19th, 2005. Data Driven Decision to Improve Teacher Preparation Programs.
- International Assoc of Learning Disabilities (IALD); Fort Lauderdale , FL; October 20-22, 2005. Effectiveness of a Mild/Moderate Teacher Education Preparation Program.
- California Association of Speech, Hearing, & Language (CASHA); San Jose , CA ; April 2005. Identifying District and Community Resources to Serve Culturally Diverse Students.
- American Educational Research Association (AERA); Montreal, Canad ; April 11-15, 2005. Use of Resources Among Families with Children with Disabilities: Comparison of Service Systems in Portugal and the United States .
- Hawaii International Conference on Education, 3 rd Annual, Honolulu, Hawaii; January 4-7, 2005. Formal and Informal Resources Among Families with Children with Disabilities. Identifying District & Community Resources to Serve Culturally Diverse Students.
- American Educational Research Association (AERA); San Diego, CA; April 12-16, 2004. Formal and Informal Resources Among Families; Comparison Across Economics, Age and Child's Level of Disability.
- National Association for Alternative Certification; New Orleans, LA; April 28-30, 2004. Support Provider Training or How to Develop an Effective Mentor .
- American Educational Research Association (AERA); Chicago IL, 2005—selected as session chair
- Alternative Teacher Certification Local Assistance Grant (State of California ) 2007-08 ($875,000.00); 2006-07 ($846,000.00); 2005-06 ($627,000.00); 2004-05 ($622,500.00); 2003-04 ($582,500.00).
- Dean's Mini Research Grant; Spring, 2003
- Affirmative Action Faculty Development Award: Computerized Case Studies in Sp. Ed., 11/91
- Lottery Endowment Award: Urban Education Colloquium, 12/90.
Awards and Honors
- Bautzer Faculty Award for University Advancement; CSU Award, 2000-01
- Excellence in Education Service Award; College of Education, 2002
- Certificate of Appreciation; Headstart, 1997