Ericka Verba, Ph.D.
Title: Assistant Professor, History
Office: LCH A-315
Phone Extension: x2636
Email Username: everba
- Guest Speaker, International Relations Colloquium, “Chilean Artist Violeta Parra: Her Life and Legacy.” Pomona College , California. November 6, 2007.
- Presenter, “Radio Chilena and the “Discovery” and Promotion of Chilean Folkore in the 1950s.” XXVII International Congress of the Latin American Studies Association, Montreal , Canada . September 5-8, 2007.
- Keynote Speaker, “Violeta Parra and the Search for Authenticity.” 7 th Annual Céfiro Conference , Texas Tech University, Lubbock , Texas. March 30- April 1, 2006 .
- Presenter, “‘Así Canta Violeta': Violeta Parra and the Chileanización of the Airwaves.” XXVI International Congress of the Latin American Studies Association, San Juan, Puerto Rico . March 15-18, 2006 .
- Keynote Speaker, “Chilean Artist Violeta Parra's Legacy in Words and Images.” 1 st Annual Latin American Studies Celebration of Women, University of Louisville , Louisville , March 28, 2005 .
- Presenter, “Competing ‘Feminisms': The Liga de Damas Católicas Chilenas versus the Círculo de Lectura de Señoras (Santiago, Chile, 1910-1920).” 2002 Pacific Coast Council on Latin American Studies Conference, East Los Angeles College , Los Angeles , 2002.
- Presenter, “' Vamos a la fuente' : Using Primary Documents as Teaching Tools for Latin American History.” From Isolation to Interaction: A Dialogue on Teaching Latin American Studies, California State University, Los Angeles, 2001.
- Presenter, "The Liga de Damas Chilenas [League of Chilean Ladies]: Angels of Peace and Harmony of the Social Question." Latin American Studies Association XX International Congress, Guadalajara , Mexico, 1997.
- Presenter, " La mujer [Woman] and El Pueblo [The People]: Class Borders of Early Chilean Feminism, 1910-1920." 10th Berkshire Conference on the History of Women, University of North Carolina , Chapel Hill , 1996.
- Presenter, " La mujer del pueblo en la nueva historiografía chilena ." First Multidisciplinary Congress in Women's Studies, Universidad de Santiago, Santiago, Chile, 1992.
- Presenter, " Las mujeres del pueblo de Santiag , 1891-1925: Imagen y realidad ." Conference on Gender, Class and Politics in Chilean History, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile , 1992.
- Presenter, "The Círculo de Lectura de Señoras [Ladies' Reading Circle ] and the Club de Señoras [Ladies' Club] of Santiago , Chile : Feminist Awakenings, 1915-1920." Western Association of Women Historians Conference XXIII, San Marino, California, 1992.
- Presenter, "Latin American Nueva Canción ." Pacific Coast Council on Latin American Studies Conference, California State University , Los Angeles, 1984.
- Presenter, "Violeta Parra: Life and Music of a Chilean Folk Singer and Composer." Second International Conference on Women in Music, University of Southern California, 1982.
- Musical Consultant, Feature Film They Came at Night (1998)
- Tribute Concert to Violeta Parra/ Peña homenaje a Violeta Parra . Desalambrar Recordings, 1996.
- Sabiá Live! ¡ En Vivo ! . Flying Fish Records, Inc., 1989
- Portavoz . Flying Fish Records, Inc., 1986
- Formando un Puente /Building Bridges . Redwood Records, 1984
- Artist in the Community Grant, Los Angeles Cultural Affairs Department, 1995-1996
- Center for Teaching and Learning “Travel to Present Research or Scholarly/Creative Project Results Grant,” CSUDH, 2006 and 2007
Fellowship Awards (national)
- Mellon Fellow in the Humanities, 1993-1994 and 1988-1990
- Social Science Research Council, Dissertation Fellowship for Area Studies, 1991-1992
- Fulbright Full Grant – Institute of International Education, 1991-1992
Other Awards and Honors (regional)
- E. Bradford Burns Award, Pacific Coast Council on Latin American Studies, 2007
- President, Pacific Coast Council on Latin American Studies; 2006-2007