A. Marco Turk, J.D.
Title: Professor and Director, Negotiation, Conflict Resolution, and Peacebuilding Program
Department: Negotiation, Conflict Resolution and Peacebuilding
Phone Extension: x2295
Email Username: amturk
- Turk, A.M. (2007). Rethinking the Cyprus problem: Are frame-breaking changes still possible through application of intractable conflict intervention approaches to this “hurting stalemate”? Loyola of Los Angeles International and Comparative Law Review, 29 (3)
- Turk, A.M. ( 2006). Cyprus reunification is long overdue: The time is right for track III diplomacy as the best approach for successful negotiation of this ethnic conflict. Loyola of Los Angeles International and Comparative Law Review, 28 (2), 205-255
- Turk, A.M. (2004). Democratized restorative justice as a lesson for criminology: Cyprus 1997-2003. The Criminologist, 29 (3), 1, 3-4
- Jesilow, P.D., & Turk, A.M. Police, Courts, and Corrections (authored chapters on corrections) for UCI MAS Degree in Criminology, Law & Society. Irvine : University of California, 2002
- Beck, R.J., & Turk, A.M. (1998). Family Peacemakers: An extended family mediation and conflict resolution skills training program for youth offenders during probation. Mediation Quarterly, 16(1), 51-69
- Turk, A.M. (Ed.) (1997). Introduction to Law and Society. New York : Simon and Schuster Custom Publishing, 1997. WorldCat
Awards and Honors
- Notified of selection by the Los Angeles Daily Journal (legal newspaper) as one of the top four community mediation “neutrals” in Los Angeles , to be featured in its upcoming special section on local neutrals. (Date of notification: November 14, 2007.)
- Fred J. Hansen Institute for World Peace/San Diego State University Foundation Grant Award (Gerald Monk, A. Marco Turk , and John Winslade) to conduct narrative mediation workshops in Cyprus (2005)
- Recipient of the first “A. M. Turk Values” award created in his honor by the CSUDH Negotiation & Conflict Management Alumni Association [now Negotiation, Conflict Resolution and Peacebuilding Affinity Association] (2003)
- Sally Casanova Memorial Award (CSUDH) to conduct follow-up research workshops in Cyprus (2003)
- Fulbright Senior Scholar in Conflict Resolution , Cyprus Fulbright Commission, Cyprus (1997-1999)
- [Follow-up bi-communal teacher conflict resolution training program in Israel ] (2000)
- Excellence in Teaching Awards - University of California , Irvine (1997, 2001)
- Delta Delta Delta Sorority Recognition for Commitment to Academic Excellence, UCI (1996, 2001)
- Faculty Career Development Award for Research Project of Superior Merit, UCI (1996)
- Awarded Martindale-Hubbell, Inc. - AV Rating [highest lawyer professional rating] (1977)
- Honors Course for Seniors in Political Science - University of Washington , Seattle (1956)
- Invited presenter as part of the APA Division 36 Psychology of Religion “Visions in Conflict” symposium scheduled for the American Psychological Association (APA) Boston Annual Conference 2008.
- Invited panelist, “Mastering the Conundrum of Mediator Ethics: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly,” Association for Conflict Resolution 7 th Annual Conference (2007).
- Invited panelist, “Ethical Responsibility,” Southern California Mediation Association Conference on “ADR: The New Mainstream in Family Law” (2007).
- Invited participant in symposium at the Center for Research & Practice, Special Programs, University of Denver Conflict Resolution Institute (2007), entitled “Peacebuilding in the Face of Political Intractability: The Future of Bicommunal Efforts in Cyprus.”
- Invited participant in the Cyprus Forum at San Diego State University that hosted six Cypriot academicians under the auspices of the Fred J. Hansen Institute for World Peace (2006)
- Featured presenter (DVD Video) at the 1st African ADR Summit [Power of Change 2006]) concerning “Equity, Justice & Peace Building In Nigeria: Addressing Regional And Institutional Challenges” (2006)
- Featured graduation speaker at the Institute for International Mediation and Conflict Resolution, Middle East Symposium on Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, Nicosia , Cyprus (2005)
- Invited member of international workshop, “Getting to Yes: Suggestions for Embellishment of the Annan Plan for Cyprus,” hosted by South East European Studies Programme, European Studies Centre, St Antony's College, University of Oxford (2003)