James Sudalnik, Ph.D.
Title: Professor, Communications
Office: SAC 1, Room 1160
Phone Extension: x3099
Email Username: jsudalnik
- High-Definition Television: An Annotated Multidisciplinary Bibliography. (with Victoria Kuhl), Greenwood Press, Westport , Connecticut (May, 1994).
- A High-Definition Television Bibliography. International Journal of Instructional Media, Vol. 18, No. 1. 1991, pp. 65-83.
- High-Definition TV: Television's Future Vision. International Journal of Instructional Media, Vol. 17 1990, No. 3., pp. 179-189.
- High-Definition Television: HDTV 101. College Broadcaster, Vol. 2, No. 7-8, April-May 1990, p. 36.
- "You Don't Bring Me Flowers Anymore." Poem, in A Break in the Clouds. Owing Mills, MD: Watermark Press, 1993, p. 225.
- "The Reddish Soil of Hawaii." Poem, in Menya: Journal of Literature and Art, California State University , Dominguez Hills, Carson, California , 1988, p. 22.
- An Historical Survey of the Development of Cable Television as an Educational Resource on Eight Southern California Campuses of the California State University. Doctoral dissertation, Department of Curriculum, Instruction, and Media; Educational Media Division, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale ; University Microfilms, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1986.
- Defining the Promotional Film . Unpublished paper presented to the San Diego State University Conference on Media, November, 1980.
- Final Report of the Shawnee National Forest Wilderness Evaluation Project. Editor (with James S. Fralish), Southern Illinois University at Carbondale , Department of Forestry, SIU Press, 1980. (350 pages)
- A Resource Manual for Science Teachers in Southern Illinois . Contributor, National Science Foundation Institute, Department of Curriculum, Instruction, and Media; Science Division, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale , 1980.
- Final Project Report: Glass-Recycling Workshop at Nashville Public School . Editor and Contributor, Department of Curriculum, Instruction, and Media; Science Division, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale , 1980.
- Wilderness: Preserving the American Heritage . Illinois Environmental Education Update, Chana, Illinois, June 1980.
- Wilderness Preservation on the Shawnee National Forest . Informative brochure, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale , Department of Forestry, 1979.
- “Problem Based Learning-Distributed Course Delivery.” Campus-wide Seminar presented with teammates at CSUDH, 1996, as a result of CLRIT training: San Diego State University .
- “The World Wide Web as a Research Tool in Communications and the Arts.” Seminar presented at California State University , Dominguez Hills, 1995.
- “HDTV: Television's Future Vision.” Seminar presented at California State University, Dominguez Hills, 1990.
- “Introduction to Telecommunications.” Seminar series keynote speaker and Chief presenter, California State University , Dominguez Hills, 1981.
- “Defining the Promotional Film.” Paper and seminar presented to the San Diego Conference on Culture and Education, San Diego State University , 1980.
- Group W Television Equipment Grant ($203,000)
- Saatchi and Saatchi Advertising: Equipment and Videotape Donations ($25,000);
- Nissan Corp.:Videotape Donations ($3,000)
- Team One Advertising Videotape Donations ($1,000)
- Worked on numerous other grants as media specialist: most recently with Ball State University on mediated project on Academic Integrity
- Shell Oil (and others)
- Grant for 1910 Dominguez Air Meet Project ($8000) of which I am currently chair
- Minor Capital Outlay Award, CSUDH, ($133,000), TV Studio Sound Treatment Project
- Approximately ($240,000) from ASI Grant Program, equipment for TV curriculum
Creative Activity Awards
- The Communicator Awards (Award of Distinction), National Competition, Producer/Director, “School to Career”, 2000
- The Aegis Award, Award for Excellence, National Competition, “Meeting theChallenge of the New Millennium”, 1999
- The Communicator Awards (Award of Distinction), National Competition, Producer/Director, “Surviving the Teen Years: Violence”, 1995
- Silver Telly Award (Highest Achievement) 12th Annual Telly Awards, National Competition, for Direction (Television), “The California Academy of Math and Science”, 1991
- Silver Poet Award, World of Poetry, 1990
- Meritorious Performance and Professional Promise Award, California State University Dominguez Hills, 1987
- Golden Poet Award, World of Poetry, 1987
- Finalist, National Federation of Local Cable Programmers National Festival - Producers Award (Television), “Bicycling Magazine Grand Prix”, 1986
- Finalist, Poetry Alive Festival, California State University Dominguez Hills, 1983
- Award for Excellence, Society for Technical Communications, Writing and Design, 1980
- Honorable Mention, University of Illinois Photography Competition, 1972
- Outstanding Service to CSUDH Communications Students, 2002
- Commendation; Design Committee Award, Moot Court Competition, CSUDH, 1994
- Outstanding Professor Award for Surpassing Excellence in Accommodating Students with Disabilities, 1990
- Black History Month Committee Award; Significant Contributions, 1987