Marek A. Suchenek, Ph.D.
Title: Professor, Department of Computer Science
Department: Computer Science
Office: NSM A-131
Phone Extension: x2068
Email Username: suchenek
- "FORTRAN for advanced programmers", (textbook in Polish, co-author: Jan Bielecki) Polish Scientific Publishers (Warsaw 1981 [1st edition], 1983 [2nd edition], and 1988 [3rd edition]).
- "ANS FORTRAN", (textbook in Polish, co-author: Jan Bielecki) Publishing House of Warsaw Technical University ( Warsaw 1980).
Refereed Journal Articles
- "On Undecidability of Non-monotonic Logic", Studia Informatica 1/2(7) (2006), pp 127-132.
- "Evaluation of Queries under the Closed-World Assumption II": The Hierarchical Case , Journal of Automated Reasoning 25 (2000), pp 247-289.
- "Evaluation of Queries under Closed-World Assumption", Journal of Automated Reasoning 18 (1997), pp 357-398.
- "Preservation Properties in Deductive Data Bases", an invited paper, in Methods of Logic in Computer Science: An International Journal 1 (1995), pp 315-338.
- "First-order syntactic characterizations of minimal entailment, domain minimal entailment, and Herbrand entailment", Journal of Automated Reasoning 10 (1993), pp 237-263.
- "Partial correctness without actual infinity", Studia Scientiarum Mathematicarum Hungarica 27 (1992), pp 159-167.
- "On negative information in deductive databases", an invited paper (co-author: Rajshekhar Sunderraman), Journal of Database Administration 1 (1990), pp 28-41.
- "Applications of Lyndon Homomorphism Theorems to the theory of minimal models", International Journal of Foundations of Computer Science 1 (1990), pp 49-59.
- "Non-invasive testing of real-time avionics µprocessor systems" (co-authors: Xitong Zheng and Golam Sarwar), Microprocessing and Microprogramming, The Euromicro Journal 27 (1989), pp 665-672.
- "Two applications of model-theoretic forcing to Lipski's model of data base with incomplete information" Fundamenta Informaticae 12 (1989) pp 269-288.
- "Compactness in logic of programs", Colloquia Mathematica Societatis Jįnos Bolyai 42 (1985), pp 803-810.
- "Effective logic of programming language", Computational Linguistics and Computer Languages 15 (1982), pp. 249-264.
Other Refereed Publications
- "Sound and Complete Propositional Nonmonotonic Logic of Hierarchically Minimal Models" , in M. Klopotek, M. Michalewicz, S.T. Wierzchon (Eds.) Proceedings of the Intelligent Information Systems'2000 Symposium , Bystra, Poland, June 12 - 16, 2000, series Advances in Soft Computing, Physica-Verlag (2000), pp 193-205.
- "Mesh Models of Knowledge in Distributed Systems" , (co-author: Henrietta Okeke), in Proceedings of the Euromicro Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Processing , Gran Canaria, January 27 - 29, 1993, IEEE Computer Society Press (1993), pp 113-120.
- "Test, measurement, and validation of MIL-STD-1553B bus related software" (co-authors: Xitong Zheng and Golam Sarwar), to appear in FAA Digital Systems Validation Handbook .
- "Minimal models for closed world databases with views" co-author: Rajshekhar Sunderraman), in Methodologies for Intelligent Systems, 5 , Z. W. Ras, M. Zemankova, Mary L. Emrich (eds.), North-Holland (1990), pp 182-192.
- "Incremental models of updating data bases", in Proceedings of Algebraic Logic and Universal Algebra in Computer Science, Conference, Ames IA, June 1-4, 1988, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 425, Springer-Verlag (1990), pp 243-271.
- "A syntactic characterization of minimal entailment" , in Logic Programming, Proceedings of the North American Conference 1989, Ewing L. Lusk, and Ross A. Overbeek (eds),The MIT Press (1989), pp. 81-91.
- "Minimal models for closed world data bases" , in Methodologies for Intelligent Systems, 4 , Zbigniew W. Ras (ed), North-Holland (1989), pp. 515-522.
- "Forcing versus Closed World Assumption", in Methodologies for Intelligent Systems, 2 , Z.W. Ras, M. Zemankova (eds), North-Holland (1987), pp 453-460.
- "On proving properties of concurrent programs", Mathematical Models in Computer Systems , M. Arato, L. Varga (editors), Publishing House of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (Budapest 1981), pp. 97-109.
- "Sequence Semantics for Doxastic Logic", (with Victor W. Marek)
- "Minimal Perimeters of Tiled Areas", January 31, 2007
- "Letter to the Bookshelf: Abel's Proof", American Scientist Online, The Magazine of Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society (2003),
- "Election 2000: A Probability Theory Argument That Settles the Presidential Contest", Keep and Bear Arms (2000),
- "Technical Correspondence: A Brilliant Example", Communications of the A.C.M. 32/9 (1989), pp 1132-1133.
- "Floyd-Hoare implication is not uniformly axiomatizable within non-standard dynamic logic", Research Reports 59/83, Institute of Computer Science , Warsaw Technical University ( Warsaw 1983).
- "On pragmatic semantics of programming languages", Research Reports 57/83, Institute of Computer Science , Warsaw Technical University ( Warsaw 1983).
- "On first-order logics of programs", Proceedings of 15th Annual Conference on Information Sciences and Systems , G. G. L. Meyer, W. J. Rugh (editors), John Hopkins University (Baltimore, 1981), pp. 100-103.
- "On axiomatizations of semantics of programming languages", Research Reports 32/81, Institute of Computer Science , Warsaw Technical University ( Warsaw 1981).
- "A critique of Polish Standard of programming language FORTRAN" (in Polish), Research Reports 22/81, Institute of Computer Science , Warsaw Technical University ( Warsaw 1981).
- Review of the book: G. Antoniou, "Nonmonotonic Reasoning", The MIT Press (Cambridge - London 1997), in Bulletin of Symbolic Logic 6/4 (2000), pp 484-490.
- Review of the book: M. R. Genesereth, N. J. Nilson, "Logical Foundations of Artificial Intelligence" (co-author: James H. Thomas), Morgan Kaufmann Publ. (Los Altos CA, 1987), in Mathematical Reviews (1990 e), rev. no. 90e:68001, pp 2920-2921.
- Review of the paper: M. L. Ginsberg, "Counterfactuals", Artificial Intelligence 30 (1986), pp. 35-79, in Zentralblatt für Mathematik 655 (1989), rev. no. 03011, pp 13-14.
- Review of the paper: S. Hank, D. McDermott, "Nonmonotonic logic and temporal projection", Artificial Intelligence 33 (1987), pp. 379-412, in Zentralblatt für Mathematik 654 (1989), rev. no. 68107, pp 374-375.
- Review of the paper: D.W. Etherington, "Formalizing non-monotonic reasoning systems", Artificial Intelligence 31 (1987), pp. 41-85, in Zentralblatt für Mathematik 638(1988), rev. no. 68100, p. 376.
- Review of the book: R. Murawski, "Philosophy of Mathematics - An Anthology of Classic Texts", Polish Scientific Publishers ( Warsaw 1986), in Zentralblatt für Mathematik 616(1987), rev. no. 00021, p. 4.
- Review of the paper: R.C. Moore, "Semantical considerations on nonmonotonic logic", Artificial Intelligence 25 (1985), pp. 75-94, in Zentralblatt für Mathematik 569 (1986), rev. no. 68079, pp. 333-334.
- Review of the paper: G. Bossu, P. Siegel, "Saturation, nonmonotonic reasoning and the closed-world assumption", Artificial Intelligence 25 (1985), pp. 13-63, in Zentralblatt für Mathematik 569 (1986), rev. no. 68078, pp. 332-333.
- Review of the book: J.P. Roth, "Computer logic, testing and verification", in Zentralblatt für Mathematik 429 (1980), rev. no. 94028, pp. 570-573.
- "Complete Non-monotonic Autoepistemic Logic" presented at Logic in Hungary , Budapest , Hungary , August 5 - 10, 2005
- "On Asymptotic Computability" presented at Computer Science and Mathematics Seminar, California State University Dominguez Hills, Carson , California , Fall 2004
- "On Asymptotic Decidability of Some Problems Related to Artificial Intelligence" presented at AMS 2003 Spring Western Section Meeting , Special Session on Beyond Classical Boundaries of Computability III, San Francisco, CA, May 3-4, 2003.
- "Kripke Semantics for Nonmonotonic Modal Logic" presented at Joint Computer Science and Mathematics Seminar, California State University Dominguez Hills, Carson , California , October 14, 2002
- "Nonmonotonic Logic of Public Knowledge in Distributed Systems" presented at the Institute for Computer Science Seminar, Warsaw University of Technology, Warsaw , Poland , June 7, 2000.
- "Nonmonotonic Logic for Reasoning from Ignorance" presented at the Institute of Foundations of Computer Science Seminar, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw , Poland , December 9, 1999.
- "Graph Semantics vs. Tree Semantics for Common Knowledge in Distributed Systems" presented at the Southeastern Int'l Conference on Combinatorics, Graph Theory, and Computing , Boca Raton , Florida , March 3 - 7, 1997.
- "Indefinite Models and Parallel Positive Resolution for Disjunctive Stratified Logic Programs" , presented at the International Workshop on Nonmonotonic Reasoning , Timberline, Oregon , June 9 - 12, 1996, also in the Proceedings of the Workshop, pp 123-131.
- "Preservation Properties in Nonmonotonic Logics" , presented at UCLA Logic Colloquium , Los Angeles , California , April 22, 1994.
- "Alternative Computations of Minimal Consequences in Indefinite Deductive Data Bases" , presented at Workshop on Structural Complexity and Recursion-theoretic Methods in Logic Programming , International Symposium on Logic Programming, Vancouver , British Columbia , October 29, 1993.
- "Calculating Kripke models for distributed systems" (co-author: Henrietta Okeke), presented at 3rd Annual Artificial Intelligence Symposium, Long Beach, California, June 18 - 19, 1992, also in Proceedings of the 3rd Annual Artificial Intelligence Symposium , California State University (1992), pp 69-78.
- "On Applications of Model-Theoretic Forcing to the Theory of Minimal Models" , presented at UCLA Logic Colloquium , Los Angeles , California , May 22, 1992.
- "Sieves of Eratosthenes, Kripke Models, and Distributed Knowledge Bases", an invited address , presented at 3rd Annual Ulam Mathematics Conference , West Palm Beach , Florida , March 19 - 20, 1992.
- "On reasoning from closed world data bases with disjunctive views" (co-author: Rajshekhar Sunderraman), presented at Workshop on Logic Programming and Nonmonotonic Logic, Austin, Texas, November 1 - 2, 1990, also in Proceedings of the Workshop on Logic Programming and Nonmonotonic Logic , North American Conference on Logic Programming (1990), pp 132-149.
- "Homomorphisms in Semantics of Deductive Data Bases" , presented at Conference on Algebraic Logic in Honor of Don Monk , Boulder , Colorado , May 28 - June 1, 1990.
- "A Syntactic Characterization of Transitive Closures" , presented at The Inaugural Conference of the Ulam Quarterly , West Palm Beach , Florida , February 17 - 19, 1990.
- "Software diagnosing in circumstances of incomplete information", presented at XV AIAA Technologyfest , Wichita , Kansas , November 10 - 12, 1988.
- "Negation as sure failure", presented at Workshop on Categorical Aspects of Data Flow Analysis , Manhattan , Kansas , May 23 - 26, 1988.
- "On generalizations of the closed world assumption in deductive data bases", presented at Fourth Southeastern Logic Symposium , Columbia , South Carolina , March 24 - 25, 1988.
- "Forcing in Artificial Intelligence", presented at the Third Southeastern Logic Symposium , Charleston , South Carolina , March 7, 1987.
- "Non-monotonic derivations which preserve pragmatic truth", presented at International Symposium on Methodologies for Intelligent Systems, Knoxville, Tennessee, October 1996, also in Proceedings of the ACM SIGART International Symposium on Methodologies for Intelligent Systems, Colloquia Program , Zemankova M., Emrich M. L. (editors), ORNL-6362 (Oak Ridge National Laboratory 1987), pp 69-74.
- "On asymptotic decidability of model-theoretic forcing", presented at Fourth Hungarian Computer Science Conference , Györ , Hungary , July 8 - 10, 1985.
- "Gamma-meaningful theories vs. partial correctness of programs", presented at Colloquium on Computation Theory , Pozna , Poland , June 25 - 29, 1984.
- "Forcing treatment of incomplete information in databases", presented at International Symposium on Model Theory in Foundations of Computer Science , Budapest , Hungary , September 10 - 14, 1984.
- "Compactness problems in defining semantics", short communication at International Congress of Mathematicians , Section I: Mathematical Logic and the Foundations of mathematics, Warsaw , Poland , August 16 - 24, 1983.
1997 - 1997 ($26,000) 0 Expert System Based Pilot Decision Support System / Mid-America Consulting Group (a subcontractor from a NASA Small Business Technology Transfer project NAS 2-97022 / Project Director
1988 - 1990 ($262,525); Reconstruction of Runs of Real-Time Programs / Federal Aviation Administration DTFA03-86-C-0004 / Principal Investigator.
1985 - 1986 (ca. 250,000 zl) Mathematical model of a telecommunication system / Gov. Project PR-3 / Project Director
1984 - 1985 (ca. 150,000 zl) Design of Reliable Digital Telecommunication System via Satellite Link Complying to HDLC Protocol / East European Commonwealth Program / Project Director
Awards and Honors
- 1995 Listed in "Who's Who in the World," Marquis (eds.), 13-th edition, 1996
- 1995 Listed in "Who's Who in Science and Engineering," Marquis (eds.), third edition, 1996-97
- 1995 Listed in "Who's Who in Finance and Industry," Marquis (eds.), 29-th edition, 1996-97
- 1994 Listed in "Who's Who in America," Marquis (eds.), 49-th edition, 1995
- 1993 Listed in "Who's Who in the West," Marquis (eds.), 24-th edition, 1994-95
- 1982 Minister of Science, Higher Education and Technology's Prize for textbook "FORTRAN for Advanced Programmers"
- 1981 Minister of Science, Higher Education and Technology's Prize for doctoral dissertation "Notes on Computational Logic"
- 1979 Council of the Faculty of Electronics' Best Doctoral Dissertation Award