Sharon Russell, Ph.D.
Title: Acting Associate Dean, College of Education
Department: College of Education
Office: COE 1490
Phone Extension: x3510
Email Username: srussell
- Guest Editor. An Omnibus Review of Reform in Teacher Education: California Five Years after the SB 2042 Reforms: Issues in Teacher Education. A special theme volume, Spring 2006.
- “Reforming Urban Teacher Education: SB 2042 Implementation Five Years Later,” Issues in Teacher Education, Spring 2006.
- Cook L., D. Simmons, S.E. Russell, and V. McCloyn. (1999) Secondary Pedagogy for Preinterns. Sacramento: California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
- “Specially Designed Instruction in English,” in Second Language Literacy Training Manual, published by ARCO-LAAMP, 1999.
- “Strategies for 4th-8th Grade” in First 30 Days & Beyond: ELD/ESL Strategies for Structured/Sheltered English Immersion Program, published by the Santa Clara County Office of Education, San Jose, CA, August 1998.
- Yee Wan and Sharon Russell, “Using Sheltered Instruction from a Multicultural Perspective,” Proceedings of the National Association for Multicultural Education (NAME) Conference, 1997.
- "Sheltered Instruction + Constructivist Pedagogy = Best Practice for Second Language Learners," California Literature Project Calendar, September 1995.
- "Sheltered Content Reading Instruction," Second Language Learning, International Reading Association, September 1995.
- "Language and Culture across the Curriculum," Minnesota Language Journal, Vol. I, No. 2 (Spring 1987).
- Kamal Hamdan, Dawn Berlin, Shirley Lal, Kate Esposito and Sharon Russell, “Professional Development School Innovations: Confronting Teacher Shortages and Increasing Student Achievement,” The Holmes Partnership Tenth Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, February, 24-26, 2006. (Forthcoming)
- Kamal Hamdan, Dawn Berlin, Shirley Lal, Kate Esposito and Sharon Russell, “Confronting Teacher Shortages with Teacher Preparation Model Innovations,” National Association for Alternative Certification Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, March 27-29, 2006. (Forthcoming)
- Sharon Russell, Jim Cantor, Carol Nakayama, Cheryl Trujillo, Pat Gallagher, and Sandra Bradley, “A Professional Development School Network: Improving Teacher Preparation with a Replicable Systemic Model,” The Holmes Partnership Eighth Annual Conference, San Diego, CA, January 16-17, 2004.
- Billie, Blair, Jim Cantor, Sharon Russell, and Sue Schaar, “Teacher Education for Emergency Permit Teachers: The Evolution of a Professional Development School for Emerging Professionals,” The Holmes Partnership Seventh Annual Conference, Washington, DC, February 21-23, 2003.
- Sharon Russell and Diane Hembacher, “Using Technology to Shelter Instruction in Interdisciplinary Units: (Grades 4-8),” National Association for Bilingual Education Conference, New Orleans, LA, February 31, 2003.
- Sharon Russell and Diane Hembacher, “Using Technology to Shelter Instruction in Social Studies: (Grades 4-8),” National Association for Bilingual Education Conference, Philadelphia, PA, March 21, 2002.
- “Using Technology to Shelter Instruction (Strategies for 4-8),” National Association for Bilingual Education Conference, Phoenix, AZ, February 22, 2001.
- Sharon Russell and Yee Wan, “English Language Development for Emerging and Intermediate English Learners: Thematic Unit on Life Cycles,” National Association for Bilingual Education Conference, Denver, CO, January 27-Jan. 30, 1999.
- Sharon Russell and Yee Wan, “English Language Development for Emerging and Intermediate English Learners: California Science Framework,” California Association for Bilingual Education Conference, Los Angeles, CA, February 17-20, 1999.
- Yee Wan and Sharon Russell, "Sheltering Across the Curriculum: Strategies for K-12 Chinese Contributions to World Culture," National Association for Bilingual Education Conference, Dallas, TX, February 25-28, 1998
- Yee Wan and Sharon Russell, “Specially Designed Academic Instruction in English (Strategies for 4-12): Teaching Chinese Contributions to World Culture,” California Association for Bilingual Education," San Jose, CA, February 4-7, 1998
- Yee Wan and Sharon Russell, "Sheltering Across the Curriculum: Strategies for K-12," National Association for Bilingual Education Conference, Albuquerque, NM, November, 1997
- Yee Wan and Sharon Russell, "SDAIE across the Curriculum: The Rain Forest," California Association for Bilingual Education," San Diego, CA, February 26-March 1, 1997
- "Constructing Learning Environments," National Council of Teachers of English, Chicago, IL, November 26, 1996
- "Zones of Contact: Reading, Language, and Content in Bilingual, Multicultural Classrooms," Institute, 41st Annual Convention of the International Reading Association, New Orleans, LA, April 28, 1996
- Yee Wan and Sharon Russell, "Sheltering Without Tears (K-12)," National Association for Bilingual Education Conference, Orlando, FL, March 13-17, 1996
- Yee Wan and Sharon Russell, "Developing, Implementing, and Evaluating SDAIE (Sheltered) Lessons across the Curriculum, (6-12)," California Association of Bilingual Educators Conference, San Jose, CA, January 10-13, 1996
- "English Language Learning for the 21st. Century," Program Director and Keynote Speaker, Positive Living United Services (PLUS), Hong Kong, January 4-6, 1996
- "Providing Access to the Core Curriculum," Workshop, Language Arts Institute, October 11-12, 1995
- "Developing and Supporting Biliteracy," South Bay Area Reading Council's Twelfth Annual Conference on Literacy, March 4, 1995
- "The Role of Community in Teacher Education," American Education Research Association, April 4-9, 1994
- SOE Writing Teams: FIPSE, NSF, Teacher Quality, CA Teacher Quality, Title III Early Adopter Grant, California Commission on Teacher Credentialing 2001-2002
- Alternative Certification Grant 1999 to present
- Preintern Grant 1998
- ARCO/LAAMP Project for Language Acquisition 1997-1998
- Alternative Certification Program for Class-Size Reduction, 1997
- Grant-Reader for Short-Term Training Grants, OBEMLA, January, 1994
- Title VII, Associated Colleges of the Midwest, 1992
- Title III, Columbia College, 1990
Awards and Honors
- Nancy Zimpher Partnership Award, Semi-Finalist, Holmes Partnership, CSUDH- LAUSD PDS Team, January 17, 2004.
- Gibson Teaching Award, California State University, Dominguez Hills, 1999
- Teacher of the Year, Beloit College, 1981
- NEH Summer Fellowship Award, 1981
- Graduate Teaching Award, the Ohio State University, 1978