R. Iset Anuakan
Title: Lecturer, Psychology
Phone Extension: x3471
Email Username: ianuakan
Show All Publications: Manuscripts Publications: Articles Publications: Television and Radio Publications: Poetry Presentations: Papers Delivered Performances Blogs Fellowships, Grants, and Awards: Academic Awards: Writing/Art/Performance
- "We Real Cool”: Beauty, Image, and Style in African American History, Ph.D.Dissertation, UC Berkeley, (2002).
- Hairpins, Head Raps and Women in Folklore: Cornrows as a Mediator of Aesthetics , Masters Thesis, Berkeley , (1993).
- “A Gendered Portrait on a Cultural Storm: Pedagogy, Theory and the Rescue of Katrina Women,” National Women Studies Association Journal, Akron , OH (forthcoming 2008).
- "What is The Vision of CSUDH?: An Examination of Diversity & Civic Engagement at a 21 st Century Institution," with David Campt. A Study for the WASC Task Force, CSUDH, (April 2006).
- Biographical Histories, African American Biographical Institute, Harvard University, Oxford UP (2006-07).
- Biographical Histories, Brown Reference Group, London , England ( 2005).
- "History of Black Hair," and "The Black Cinematic Tradition," Encyclopedia of African Atlantic Relations , ABC-CLIO, INC., Santa Barbara , CA ,(forthcoming).
- "Princess Literature and The Miss America Pageant," There She Is: Miss America (see p. 111-124, Palgrave Macmillan Publishers, New York (August 2004) ISBN:1-4039-6301-0. p111-124.
- " California 's Leaders in the Master Plan for Higher Education," Digital Archive of the Center for the Study of Higher Education , Berkeley , CA. (2002).
- "Special Features—Conflicts in the Colonies (1765-1776)," U.S. History , Barrett Kendall Publishing, Ltd., Austin , TX , (June 2001).
- "The History of History Series" My Road.com , Mentor Media Inc. Internet Publication, Emeryville , CA (Jan. 2000).
- "The Psychological Implications of Natural Black Hair," in Let Go My Mouth , Proceedings of the St. Clair Drake Cultural Forum, UC Berkeley, (Spring 1993).
- "The Importance of Afro-American Culture," in The Daily Californian , Berkeley ,CA (1989).
- "Black Women and Literature," in Catfish Lines , San Diego , CA (1987).
Publications: Television and Radio
- What is to Become: A Field Study of East African Water Relief Projects, Making History Productions, Carson , CA (forthcoming, 2008).
- Host, DHTV , "A Transnational Approach to Race, Class, and Gender," May-August, 2006.
- A Vision of CSUDH: An Examination of Diversity & Civic Engagement at a Twenty-first Century Institution, Making History Productions, Carson , CA (2006); http://www.csudh.edu/ianuakan/.
- Making History I. RIA Productions, Comcast Studios, Los Angeles, CA., (2004).
- The Career of Professor Roy Thomas . Professional Development Program, UC Berkeley, (1996).
- The History of Affirmative Action at UC Berkeley. Professional Development Program, UC Berkeley, (1997).
- Soular System Resort : Poems for a Healing Nation, Making History Publications, Los Angeles , CA (forthcoming).
- Soular System : Poems for a New Millennium, Scarab Publications, Los Angeles ,CA (2005).
- "Playing Time" in Nature's Echoes , International Library of Poetry, Owings Mills, MD, (Fall 2000) ISBN 1-58235-564-9
- "Woman Emerging," in Mists of Enchantment , National Library of Poetry, Washington, D. C. (1995) ISBN 1-57553-000-7
- "Witch's Back," Eutero Poetry Anthology , Mile High Poetry Society, Denver , Colorado , (1995).
- "Truth," in Olympus: "a gathering of fine poetry" , National Poetry Anthology, Mile High Poetry Society, Denver , Colorado , (Feb. 1993).
- Isis Flame , Scarab Publications, San Diego , CA (1989).
- Selections in We Speak: Journal of Black Writers in San Diego, San Diego , CA (1987).
Presentations: Papers Delivered
- "Leading Community-Centered Evaluation of Diversity," with Nancy Erbe, International Society for Teaching & Learning, Palm Springs , CA, October, 2006.
- "Measure & Rule," Popular Culture Association, San Diego , March 2005
- "Making History: Digital Media in the History Classroom," Point Loma Nazarene University , November, 2004.
- "Women's Business in California History," CSUDH, March, 2004.
- "History in the Making," An Evening with the Stars , UC San Diego , La Jolla , CA , 2004.
- "A Style of History: Leon Litwack's Bridges to African Americana ," UC Berkeley , May, 2003.
- "Patriotism," CSUDH Black Faculty & Staff Association, April, 2003.
- "Where the Goddess Blues Travels: The Transnational Identity of Yoruba's Yemaya," National Council of Black Studies, Atlanta , GA March, 2003.
- "Debates on Minority Student Achievement," Center for Teaching & Learning Symposium, CSUDH, March, 2003.
- "The Third Black Reconstruction" Thomas Jefferson Law School , San Diego , CA 2002.
- "Race and Class in Princess Literature : The Telos of Twenty-First Century Pageants," National Council of Black Studies, San Diego , 2002.
- “Images of Race and Slavery From Ancient Egypt to Nineteenth Century America ,” UCLA , CA , 2000.
- “Preserving Arts and Cultures,” Foothill College , Los Altos Hills , CA , 1998.
- “The Color of Beauty,” California State University , Long Beach , CA 1996.
- “The Language of Aesthetics,” Univ. of Minnesota , Minneapolis , 1995.
- “Beauty Culture in the Antebellum Era,” University Arts Museum , UC Berkeley , 1994.
- “Negro Women's Business in Harlem,” Florida State University , Gainsville , FL. 1994.
- “The Folklore or Hair Styles: A Working Paradigm,” Mississippi State University, Columbus , Miss. 1993.
- “Political and Cross-cultural Relevance of Hair,” Stanford University , Palo Alto , CA. 1993.
- “New Negro Political and Cultural Style,” Howard University , Washington , D.C.1992.
- Guest, Rob's Galaxy, TalkRadiox.com, Florida , February 2007.
- Guest, Sports with Flava Television Talkshow, Los Angeles , CA. 2005.
- A Son Come Home , National Black Theatre Convention, Winston-Salem North
- Carolina , 1990.
- Guest, San Diego Journal Radio Program, San Diego , 1988.
- Good Morning Revolution , Educational Cultural Complex, San Diego , CA 1987.
- Making History in Africa , notes on Kenya research. (July 2007), http://Makinghistory-in-Africa.blogspot.com
- Iset in Kenya , events and poetry from visit to East Africa (August 2007), http://Isetinkenya.blogspot.com
Fellowships, Grants, and Awards: Academic
- Writing Winning Proposals , Grants Workshop Award, CSU Dominguez Hills,Carson , CA, 2007.
- Who's Who in America , Marquis Publishers, New Providence , NJ (2007 edition).
- Society for Teaching and Learning, CSUDH, Carson , CA, 2006.
- Award of Recognition, Ninth CSU Regional Symposium on University Teaching, CSUDH, April 2006.
- Who's Who in Collegiate Faculty , Montclair Publishing, New York , (2006-2007 edition).
- Achievement in Digital Techniques, Center for Teaching and Learning, CSUDH,Summer, 2005.
- Faculty Mini-Research Grant, WASC Diversity Committee, Spring 2005.
- Travel Award, Dean's Office, College of Arts & Science, CSUDH March, 2005.
- Travel Grant, CTL, CSUDH, Fall 2004.
- Advisor's Excellence Award, Office of Student Life, CSUDH, Spring 2004.
- Black Business Students Association Award, CSUDH, March, 2004.
- Oxford Round Table , Oxford , England , offered Spring, 2004.
- Fulbright Collaborative Research Project, CSU Sacramento, offered Spring, 2004.
- Enhanced Critical Learning Project, CSUDH Foundation, February, 2003.
- Travel Award, Dean's Office, College of Arts & Science, CSUDH March, 2003.
- Faculty Teaching Grant, Center for Teaching and Learning, CSUDH, March, 2003.
- Achievement in Digital Basics, CTL, CSUDH, Oct. 2002.
- Who's Who , American Association of University Women, July, 2002.
- University Grant, UC Berkeley, 2001.
- Academic Excellence Award, Dean of Student Life, UC Berkeley 1992-01.
- Outstanding Teaching Award, Graduate Student Instructor, UC Berkeley, 2000.
- Humanities Diversity Dissertation Award, UC President's Office, 2000.
- Heller Travel Award to Princeton University , History Dept., UC Berkeley, 1999.
- Archbishop Riordan Academic Fellowship, UC Berkeley, 1997-98.
- Townsend Center Working Group, UC Berkeley, 1997.
- Byrne Research Fellowship, UC Berkeley, 1996-97.
- West African Research Association Travel Fellowship, Howard University, Washington , D. C., offered 1996.
- Course Improvement Grant, Graduate Teaching Office, UC Berkeley, 1995.
- Andrew Mellon Prospectus Fellowship, UC Berkeley, 1995.
- National Black Graduate Student Association Award, New York , 1993.
- Graduate Opportunity Fellowship, UC Berkeley, 1989-1993.
- Ford Teacher Training Research Fellowship, UC Berkeley, Summer, 1992.
- Osher Residence Scholarship, International House, UC Berkeley, 1991.
- International Library of Poetry Award, Owing Mills, MD, 2000
- Bullins Memorial Theatre Award, Emeryville , CA , 1992
- World of Poetry Gold and Silver Awards, 1990, 1992
- NAACP Role Model, San Diego, CA, 1990
- American Business Women's Association, San Diego, CA, 1988
- National University Leadership Award, San Diego , CA , 1987
- 2,000 Notable American Women , American Biographical Institute, Raleigh , North Carolina , 1987