Ricky Bluthenthal, Ph.D.
Title: Director, Urban Community Research Center
Office: LIB G-517
Phone Extension: x3500
Email Username: rbluthenthal
- Bluthenthal RN, Heinzerling KG, Flynn NM , Anderson R, Kral AH. Approval of syringe exchange programs in California : Mixed results from a local approach to HIV prevention. American Journal of Public Health. (In press)
- Cohen D, Schoeff D, Farley TA, Bluthenthal RN , Scribner R, Overton A. Reliability of a store observation tool in measuring availability of alcohol and selected foods. Journal of Urban Health. 2007; 84(6): 807-13.
- Jacobson JO, Robinson R, Bluthenthal RN. A multilevel decomposition approach to estimate the role of program location and neighborhood disadvantage in racial disparities in alcohol treatment completion . Social Science and Medicine. 2007;64(2): 462-76.
- Jacobson, Jerry O, Robinson P, Bluthenthal RN . Understanding racial disparities in alcohol treatment outcomes: Addiction severity, demographics, and economic factors do not fully explain differences in retention . Health Services Research. 2007; 42(2): 773-94.
- Bluthenthal RN, Ridgeway G, Schell T, Flynn NM, Anderson R, Kral AH. Examination of the association between syringe exchange program (SEP) dispensation policy and SEP client-level syringe coverage among injection drug users. Addiction. 2007; 102(4): 638-46.
- Martinez AN, Bluthenthal RN , Lorvick J, Anderson R, Flynn NM , Kral AH. The impact of legalizing syringe exchange programs on arrest among injection drug users in California . Journal of Urban Health. 2007; 84 (3): 423-35.
- Stopka TJ, Marshall C, Bluthenthal RN , Webb DS, Truax SR. HCV and HIV counseling and testing integration in California: An innovative approach to increase HIV counseling and testing rates. Public Health Reports. 2007; 122 (Supplement 2): 68-73.
- Heinzerling KG, Kral AH, Scott A, Gilbert ML, Anderson R, Flynn NM, Bluthenthal RN . Human immunodeficiency virus and hepatitis C virus testing at syringe exchange programs: Availability and outcomes . Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment . 2007; 32(4): 423-9.
- Sharma M, Burrow D, Bluthenthal RN . Coverage of HIV prevention programmes for injection drug users: Confusions, aspirations, definitions and ways forward . International Journal of Drug Policy . 2007;18: 92-98.
- Bluthenthal RN, Anderson R, Flynn NM , Kral AH. Higher syringe coverage is associated with lower odds of HIV risk and does not increase unsafe syringe disposal among syringe exchange program clients . Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2007; 89: 214-22.
- Bluthenthal RN, Jacobson JO, Robinson. Are racial disparities in alcohol treatment completion associated with treatment modality entry? Comparison of outpatient and residential treatment in Los Angeles County, 1998 to 2000 . Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. 2007; 31 (11): 1920-26.
- Bluthenthal RN, Do P, Finch B, Martinez A, Edlin BR, Kral AH. Community characteristics associated with HIV risk among injection drug users: A multi-level analysis . Journal of Urban Health. 2007; 84(5): 653-66.
- Heinzerling KG, Kral AH, Flynn NM , Anderson R, Scott A, Gilbert ML, Asch SM, Bluthenthal RN . Unmet need for recommended preventive health services among clients of California Syringe Exchange Programs: Implications for quality improvement . Drug and Alcohol Dependence . 2006;81(2): 167-78.
- Wells KB, Staunton A, Norris KC, Bluthenthal RN , Chung B, Gelberg L, Jones L, Kataoka S, Koegel P, Miranda J, Mangione CM, Patel K, Rodriguez M, Shapiro M, Wong M. Building an academic-community partnered network for clinical services research: The Community Health Improvement Collaborative (CHIC) . Ethnicity & Disease . 2006;16(1 Supplement 1): S3-S17.
- Bluthenthal RN, Jones L, Fackler-Lowrie N, Ellison M, Booker T, Jones F, McDaniel S, Moini M, Williams K, Klapp R, Koegel P, Wells KB. Witness for Wellness: Preliminary findings from a community-academic participatory research mental health initiative . Ethnicity & Disease . 2006;16(1 Supplement 1): S18-S34.
- Punzalan C, Paxton KC, Guentzel H, Bluthenthal RN , Staunton AD, Mejia G, Morales L, Miranda J. Seeking community input to improve implementation of a lifestyle modification program . Ethnicity & Disease. 2006;16(1 Supplement 1): S79-S88.
- French MT, BrownTaylor D, Bluthenthal RN . Price elasticity of demand for malt liquor beer: Findings from a pilot study. Social Science and Medicine . 2006;62(9): 2101-11.
- Lorvick J, Bluthenthal RN , Scott A, Gilbert ML, Riehman KS, Anderson R, Flynn NM, Kral AH. Secondary syringe exchange among users of 23 California syringe exchange programs. Substance Use & Misuse . 2006;41(6/7): 865-82.
- Heinzerling KG, Etzioni DA, Hurley B, Holtom P, Bluthenthal RN , Asch SM. Hospital utilization for injection drug use-related soft tissue infections in urban versus rural counties in California . Journal of Urban Health . 2006; 83(2): 176-181.
- Cohen DA, Ghosh-Dastidar B, Scribner R, Miu A, Scott M, Robinson P, Farley TA, Bluthenthal RN , BrownTaylor D. Alcohol outlets, gonorrhea, and the Los Angeles civil unrest: A longitudinal analysis . Social Science and Medicine . 2006;62(12): 3062-3071.
- Galvan FH, Bluthenthal RN , Ani C, Bing EG. Increasing HIV testing among Latinos by bundling HIV testing with other test . Journal of Urban Health . 2006;83(5): 849-59.
- Bluthenthal RN, Riehman KS, Jaycox L, Morral AR. Perspectives on therapeutic treatment from adolescent probationers . Journal of Psychoactive Drugs . 2006; 38(4):461-71.
- List of Rand Publications by Ricky Bluthenthal.