CLS 490 — Seminar in Clinical Sciences
LIB SOUTH 2037L
To start your research, use the resources below or begin with the the CSUDH Library web page found at : http://library.csudh.edu/
The resources listed under the category of Online Article Indexes are available from on-campus computers or by remote access CSUDH students who have registered for access. Students are automatically registered each semester. However, if you are having a problem with access, please bring your CSUDH picture ID along with proof of current registration to the Library Circulation Department on the 2nd floor of the library. Distance students may register online at http://library.csudh.edu/services/circ/patronreg.shtml, but please allow 5 working days for the completion of the online registration process.
You can get journal articles by going to the library home page and clicking the Journal Articles & Electronic Resources link under the "Find Journal Articles Now" heading. Click the heading that sounds the most like your situation.
- If you only know what subject you're looking for (e.g. Communication) click I know the subject area I'm looking for articles in.
- If you know which database you want to use (e.g. Mergent Online) click I know the title of the database I want to look in.
- If you are looking for an article from a specific journal (e.g. Risk Management) click I know the title of the journal I want to look at.
- If you aren't sure where to start, click Help! I don't know where to get started! for a tutorial.
Once you are in a database, you can start to search for your article. All databases' search options are slightly different, but they usually include several search boxes you can fill out. Most databases will also let you search only for peer-reviewed or scholarly journals. For your research papers, you will want to make sure you check this option!
Articles which you can read in that database will have a link to the PDF full text or the HTML full text. Click on that text link to read the article. Some databases also let you e-mail yourself the files by clicking on an e-mail link.
Some articles will say "Check Availability of Complete Article" instead of having links to the full text. If you see this, it means the text of that article is not in the database you are searching. But don't worry! By clicking the link which says this, you can see a list of which databases do have the full text. If there are no databases containing the article you want, you can request it via Inter-Library Loan .
If you are using a computer that is on campus, you can access all of our electronic databases and ebooks without any further steps. Just click on the database name in the Database List and you will be sent immediately to the search screen.
If you are off campus, you will need to log in using your last name and student ID number . Your student ID number is located on the front of your student ID card. It is not your social security number ! When you click on a database name from off-campus, you will see a screen asking you for this information.
After you enter your last name and ID number, you will be able to access any of our electronic databases and ebooks just like you would on campus.
- Cochrane Library Includes evidence-based reviews to inform healthcare decision making. It provides evidence from systematic review, clinical trials, technology assessments and more.
- Elsevier Science Direct Offers access to full-text articles, published in over 1,200 scholarly journals, and also provides links from secondary databases to the full-text article collection. The coverage is comprehensive ranging from all fields of science to business, economics, and education. More than 15 journals are related to the field of medical technology.
- MEDLINE A massive database that indexes over 4600 biomedicals journals published worldwide. It incudes medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, pre-clinical sciences, and much more. Because this database is provided by EBSCO, the Library is able to link articles from the numerous databases subscription databases to which the CSUDH Library subscribes.
- ProQuest Medical Library Combines MEDLINE indexing with full-text articles from more than 200 key medical journals in healthcare specialties such as nursing, pediatrics, gerontology, pharmacology, physical therapy, and medical technology. Among the 200 plus journals, seven are particularly useful for medical technology. They are: American journal of pathology; Archives of pathology and laboratory medicine; Blood cells, molecules, and diseases; Clinical and investigative medicine; Journal of clinical pathology; Lancet, and Sexually transmitted infections.
- SpringerLink A full-text database of articles covering a wide range of subject areas; however, it has a heavy emphasis on the sciences, including medicine, biomedical and life sciences, and chemistry.
- Wiley InterScience Journals Offers access to full-text articles from over 450 leading scientific, technical, medical, and professional journals, plus major reference works and Current Protocols laboratory manuals. Includes three major medical technology publications: The American journal of hematology; Journal of clinical laboratory analysis, and Journal of pathology. This database includes both current journals and backfiles beginning with the first volume of a title.
- PubMed Developed by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) at the National Library of Medicine, PubMed provides access to over 11 million MEDLINE citations back to 1966 and additional life science journals with links to publishers sites that provide full text articles. MEDLINE, the premier medical database created by the National Library of Medicine, contains citations of the indexed articles with abstracts only. PubMed Central, a new feature recently added, offers an online archive of journal articles in the field of life sciences. For instance, beginning with v. 80 (1990) PNAS (The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America) are available free via PubMed Central. Free Access. Continuously updated.
Books are located using the Library's ToroFind catalog. Here you can search for books by author, title or subject. In addition to finding materials available in the CSUDH Library, you will find links that allow you to directly request books from other libraries (All CSUs Catalog and LINK+ buttons). Links are provided below for other local libraries and libraries worldwide.
- ToroFind : CSUDH Online Catalog is used to find books and other materials available in the CSUDH Library.
- Ebrary is a growing collection of electronic books on a variety of topics geared to academic libraries and college students. Use the link to access this database. Ebrary books available are listed in the ToroFind Catalog. If you are using this database for the first time, download the eBrary reader.
If you are unable to locate a book in the CSUDH Collection, try these links:
- ToroFind has an "All CSU's Catlog" button for books availabe in the 23 libraries of the California State University. Search for the book and click on this button. Highlight a library name and click on the "Request This Item" button. You must be registered with the CSUDH Library to use this service.
- WorldCat can be used to locate books available at local libraries. This catalog includes the holding of non-CSU academic libraries and public libraries.
- Interlibrary Loan a book using a request form . You supply us the information, and the Interlibrary Loan Department will search for the book. Since books may be requested from libraries in other states, this can be the slowest method.
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Clinical Laboratory Science Internet Resources - A comprehensive web site created and maintained by Dr. Louis B. Caruana, Professor Emeritus, Clinical Laboratory Science Program, College of Health Professions, Southwest Texas State University, San Marcos, TX. Contains well-selected resources with highlights of current news. Free Access. Frequently updated.
- Medical Matrix Contains quality and peer review resources selected by physicians and medical librarians. It provides clinical medical information for physicians and healthcare workers. Feature topics include Specialties, Diseases, Clinical Practice, Literature, Education, Healthcare and Professionals, Medical Computing, Internet and Technology, and Marketplace. Searchable database with a Medical Speller Checker. Free Access but one-time registration required. Continuously updated .
- American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC) - http://www.aacc.org
- American Association of Blood Banks (AABB) - http://aabb.org
- American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science (ASCLS) - http://ascls.org
- American Society for Microbiology (ASM) - http://www.asmusa.org
- American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) - http://www.ascp.org
- American Society of Hematology (ASH) -http://www.hematology.org
- Clinical Cytometry Society (CCS) - http://www.cytometry.org
- Clinical Laboratory Management Association, Inc. (CLMA) - http://www.clma.org
- College of American Pathologists (CAP) - http://www.cap.org
- National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) - http://naacls.org
If you have a reference or citation to a specific journal article, use the CSUDH Journals List to find out if subscribes to the needed journal. This list includes both print and online journals. The Library currently subscribes to over 27,000 journals online. When you click on the title, you will usually find a page that has separate links for the year of available volumes. Click on the year and then you will next be able to click on specific issues. CSUDH's list also includes links to the ToroFind catalog record for print subscription information.
Here are some titles that the Library makes available for the Clinical Science program:
- American journal of clinical pathology. (Library has: Microfilm= v. 53 (1970)-v. 110 (1998); v. 111 (1999) current. Full text (2000 current) available via (http://www.ajcp.com) Indexed: PubMed)
- American journal of hematology. (Library has: v. 54 (1977) current; Full text available via Wiley InterScience Journals)
- American journal of pathology (Library has: Microfilm= v.1 (1925) -- current [Paper issues retained till microfilm received] Full text (1925 -- current with a 6 month embargo) available via PubMed Central)
- Blood (Library has: v.53 (1975) -- current. Full text (1996 -- current), Abstracts only (1975-1995). Tables of contents only (1965-1974) available via (http://www.bloodjournal.org) Access restricted to CSUDH IP address)
- Blood cells, molecules & diseases. (Full text 1995 -- current) available via ProQuest Medical Library.
- British journal of haematology. (Library has: Microfilm= v. 68 (1988)-v. 95 (1996) Full text (1997 current) available via Wiley Interscience)
- Circulation (Full text (1997 current) available via Free Medical Library; Also indexed: PubMed, with a link to full-text articles (1995 current))
- Clinical and investigative medicine . (Full text (1997 -- current) available via Academic Search Premier
- Clinical biochemistry. (Library has: v. 6 (1973) current. Full text (1995 current) available via Elsevier Science Direct)
- Clinical chemistry (American Association for Clinical Chemistry) (Library has: v. 1 (1955)- v. 30 (1984), Microfilm= v. 31 (1985) v. 41 (1995), v. 42 (1996) current. Full text (1997 current), Abstracts only (1975 1996), Tables of contents only (1965 1974) available free online via (http://www.clinchem.org) Indexed: PubMed with a link to full text articles)
- Clinical laboratory science: Journal of the American Society for Medical Technology. (Library has: v. 1 (1988 current) Full text (1998 current) available via ProQuest Nursing; Indexed: PubMed)
- Clinical leadership & management review. (Indexed: PubMed)
- Clinical microbiology newsletter. (Full text (1995 -- current) available via Academic Search Premier)
- Critical reviews in clinical laboratory sciences. (Library has: v. 12, no. 3 (1980) current) Full text (1998 current) available via Elsevier Science Direct)
- Critical reviews in microbiology. (Full text (1998 current) available via Academic Search Premier)
- Diagnostic microbiology and infectious disease. (Library has: v. 2 (1984)-v.5 (1986), Microfilm= v. 6 (1987) v. 26 (1996) Full text (1995 current) available via Elsevier Science Direct)
- Experimental hematology. (Library has: 1979-1982, 1985, 1987-1989 Full text (1995 current) available via Elsevier Science Direct)
- FEMS immunology and medical microbiology. (Full text (1995 current) available via Elsevier Science Direct)
- Journal of clinical laboratory analysis. (Library has: v. 4 (1990 current) Full text (1996 current) available via Wiley InterScience Journals)
- Journal of clinical pathology. (Library has: Microfilm= v. 27 (1974) v. 50 (1997) Full text (197 3 year embargo) available via PubMed Central)
- Journal of clinical virology. (Full text (1995 current) available via Elsevier Science Direct)
- Journal of immunological methods. (Full text (1995current) available via Elsevier Science Direct)
- Journal of laboratory and clinical medicine. (Library has: v. 1 (1915) current [Microfilm=v. 91 (1978) v. 126 (1995)] Indexed: PubMed with a link to full text articles (2001 current))
- Journal of medical virology. (Full text (1997 current) available via Wiley InterScience Journals)
- Journal of microbiological methods. (Full text (1995 current) available via Elsevier Science Direct)
- Journal of pathology. (Full text (1997 current) available via Wiley InterScience Journals)
- Lancet. (Library has: Microfilm= no. 7793 (1973) no. 9196 (1999) Full text (1995 current) available via Elsevier Science Direct, and ProQuest Medical Library; Also available via Academic Search Premier (EBSCO HOST) (1978 current); Online version (1996 current) via http://0-search.epnet.com.torofind.csudh.edu/)
- Leukemia research. (Library has: v. 4 (1980) v. 20 (1996) Full text (1995 current) available via Elsevier Science Direct)
- Parasitology international. (Full text (1995 current) available via Elsevier Science Direct)
- Parasitology today. (Full text (1995 current) available via Elsevier Science Direct)
- Transfusion. (Library has: Microfilm= v. 1 (1961) v. 18 (1978), print= v. 19 (1979) v. 22 (1982), microfilm= v. 23 (1983) current [paper issues retained till microfilm received] Indexed: PubMed with a link to full text articles (1999 current))
- Transfusion medicine. (Full text (1998 current) available via Academic Search Premier (EBSCO HOST) Also indexed: PubMed with a link to full text articles (1996 current))