UNIVERSITY Library Food Policy
Food and Drink in the Library
Food and drink pose a risk to library collections, equipment, and furnishings. To minimize damage to collections and maintain a clean environment conducive to quiet study, the library has established the following food policy. The library has several food-friendly areas, but food is prohibited in most areas of the building.
Food-Friendly Areas - 2nd Floor North; 2nd Floor Patio
The library has two "food-friendly" areas:
- The second floor of the North Building (the area around the circulation desk and future coffee nook). Please note that food is not permitted in the study areas on this floor
- The second floor courtyard (located between the circulation and reference desks)
Other Public Areas of the Library
Food is prohibited in all other areas of the library, with the following exceptions:
- Bottled water
The following snack items are not allowed in other public areas
- Bags of chips or candy bars
- Sodas, coffee, juice, or other drinks
- Bagged lunches
- Restaurant food
- Anything other than bottled water
Although bottled water is permitted on other floors, it is not allowed on the fifth floor of Library South, including in the Archives.
Occasionally the Library sponsors special events which include food service. The location and food guidelines specific to each sponsored event are carefully selected and approved by university administration.
Thank You For Your Assistance
We appreciate your cooperation in these matters. We hope you enjoy your visit to the library, but remember that it is a place where people come to study and do research. We ask that you: act responsibly in the library; be considerate of others studying near you; and dispose of your trash. Thank you.